Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia graphics card

Options
  • 25-08-2007 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Maybe someone here can help me. I am looking at a laptop with a nvidea geforce 8400m gt and the spec says that total available graphics memory is 831 mb my question is how much of that is dedicated memory is it a 128 mb card?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

anyone any ideas on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The total RAM that is actually tied to the GPU is probably 128MB or 256MB. The rest is dynamically allocated from the main pool of RAM in the system just because it lists that 831MB doesn't mean it is actually using that at this time or will.

The system information tab in the NVIDIA control panel (Help menu) should tell you the full amount of dedicated RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Thanks i know how to do it if i had the computer in front of me its just im planning on buying it and it say 8400m gt but doesnt say how many mbs video memory on spec on any site with the laptop so i asked there customer sercie and they said to ask the vendor(sony) which never got back to me. So not sure, so it would most likely be 128 or 256 then?

This is the laptop:
    http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4L4B&InMerch=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If it's the GT model thats in it then 256MB is probably the amount from a guess at least as I doubt Sony would install the full 512MB that it can support.

The resolution of the display is 1280x800 so even if it were 128MB thats not too bad as RAM usage would not be sky high and the system RAM can be used as well.

Advertisement