Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95 - Meteor/Three Settings

• 25-08-2007 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I bought an N95 recently in Singapore. It's an Asian/Pacific model and is unlocked. I've managed to get MMS over a GPRS connection on Meteor to work, but can't get GPRS to work for internet browsing. I've also got a Three sim card, which doesn't work either (for MMS/Internet/Video calls). I've been on the phone to the Meteor customer care centre but they dont seem very willing to help when it's a problem with a sim free phone that's not sold by Meteor. Having read stories in this forum about Three not allowing the use of non Three branded handsets with dual UMTS and GSM modes on their network, I haven't even tried calling them about the problem.

I've downloaded all the settings from Meteor, but I keep getting a "Packet Data not available" message when trying to use the internet. With Three, the browser tries to connect, but just lands on a blank white page.

Has anybody had any similar problems and solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Absolut wrote:
    I bought an N95 recently in Singapore. It's an Asian/Pacific model and is unlocked. I've managed to get MMS over a GPRS connection on Meteor to work, but can't get GPRS to work for internet browsing. I've also got a Three sim card, which doesn't work either (for MMS/Internet/Video calls). I've been on the phone to the Meteor customer care centre but they dont seem very willing to help when it's a problem with a sim free phone that's not sold by Meteor. Having read stories in this forum about Three not allowing the use of non Three branded handsets with dual UMTS and GSM modes on their network, I haven't even tried calling them about the problem.

I've downloaded all the settings from Meteor, but I keep getting a "Packet Data not available" message when trying to use the internet. With Three, the browser tries to connect, but just lands on a blank white page.

If you download the settings for meteor from the nokia support site they should work, the error you are getting could indicate your sim is not data enabled, perhaps ring Meteor and ask them and not mention the phone ?

I configured a N92 recently to work on Three without a problem and used the settings from the stickie on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Absolut wrote:

is it a genuine nokia n95 (dual slide, integrated gps, non-touch screen)?
    If it's a fake, it's only dual band, ie no 3G reception
    A genuine sim free, nokia n95 would load any network settings automatically on power up including access point and homepage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

nazoil wrote:
    is it a genuine nokia n95 (dual slide, integrated gps, non-touch screen)?
    If it's a fake, it's only dual band, ie no 3G reception
    A genuine sim free, nokia n95 would load any network settings automatically on power up including access point and homepage

Yeah, it's a genuine N95. And it is sim free, and it does load the settings automatically when I insert the sim (both the Meteor and the Three sim), but they just don't seem to work. The Meteor sim lets me send MMS messages over GPRS (the symbol on the left of the screen under the clock - like to arrows pointing in different directions - comes on when the message is being sent). I thought that maybe the problem was that the sim wasn't enabled for data, but since it can send MMS, then this can't be the reason.

With the Three sim, again it loads the settings, but can't connect to web/send MMS/make videocalls. It's definitely on the 3G network and works for SMS and voice calls. I'm very confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Absolut wrote:
    Yeah, it's a genuine N95. And it is sim free, and it does load the settings automatically when I insert the sim (both the Meteor and the Three sim), but they just don't seem to work. The Meteor sim lets me send MMS messages over GPRS (the symbol on the left of the screen under the clock - like to arrows pointing in different directions - comes on when the message is being sent). I thought that maybe the problem was that the sim wasn't enabled for data, but since it can send MMS, then this can't be the reason.

With the Three sim, again it loads the settings, but can't connect to web/send MMS/make videocalls. It's definitely on the 3G network and works for SMS and voice calls. I'm very confused.

MMS is not the same as isp data, I would still check with Meteor to see if sim is data enabled, or try it in a meteor phone ?

What firmware is on your N95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

skearon wrote:
    MMS is not the same as isp data, I would still check with Meteor to see if sim is data enabled, or try it in a meteor phone ?

What firmware is on your N95

Firmware Version is V.12.0.014, the latest version.

I called Meteor and they said that the sim is data enabled, and they just resent the settings to the handset again. Still doesn't work though.

I've managed to get the Three sim to work by selecting UMTS only (it doesn't work on the GSM network at all).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wow lots of people have similar problems with meteor even with "meteor" handsets! they are currently upgrading their services maybe that is causing the problem in your area or the phone could be one of many pre-release working models with only limited capabilities? another answer and maybe more likely is that meteors servers have compatibility issues with some phones including a sagem my x6-2 which i bought from them that works for gprs but it wont load any pictures! it loads the advertising "headers" off the meteor site but wont load the thumnails or larger pictures of the images. its very weird and meteor just throw the settings at the problem again and again! they admitted once it may be a compatibility issue but have done nothing to resolve it!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mchugo

Hi,

I have just bought a N95 and i am wondering has anyone used this with the Meteor Network? As Meteor is not 3g yet can the phone work, specifically the GPS? Also can you use the GPS with out incurring data charges?

Thanks

Colin

Advertisement