Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college and social welfare playing hardball, caught in the middle

Options
  • 25-08-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am in a strange situation at the moment,
    A little background information.....

I have been offered a place onto year 2 of a honours degree (design),
    In 1999 I completed a higher certificate in design in a different college,
    I was interviewed back in June and subsequently offered the place.

I am currently in the process of applying for Back to Education Allowance.
    and this is where I've run into a stumbling block.

Social welfare say i don't meet the criteria for back to education allowance unless I get a letter from the college saying I'm exempt from first year.

I rang the college thinking this wouldn't be a problem,
    I had to go through admissions as the design department is closed until September
    They are saying they won't/can't provide the letter as its not up to them to prove I'm exempt, they say Its up to me to show my exam results from my previous college and that should be enough.
    I called social welfare back and they said that is not sufficient,
    I absolutely need a letter from the college.

I rang the college back and explained this, someone was supposed to ring me back, but they didn't.

I rang social welfare head office and spoke to someone there, they were gobsmacked that the college wouldn't do it, they said they have never had a college refuse to do this.
    They suggested I go to the registrar.
    My sister suggested I go to my local TD,
    A friend suggested I go to The Dept. of Education.

I just can't understand why the college are taking this stance

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It deems to me that you are getting a lot of "verbal advice". Get the social welfare to put their requirements in writing and then get the college to put their answer in writing. Take both along with your previous college results to the social welfare and take it from there.

Advertisement