Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Electric vs Petrol Mowers

Options
  • 25-08-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Whats your Pros and Cons of Electric vs Petrol Mowers for a medium size garden? say 200ftx 80ft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

I can see no pros to electric mowers to be honest had two over the years purchased new and they were all pieces of S***e' . fell apart after a few weeks never gave a good cut etc etc. Get yourself a good Petrol Mower, look after it, and it should last years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

In a "summer" like this with almost permanently wet grass, you'd probably go through one electric mower a month on an area that size. No brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

BostonB wrote:
    Whats your Pros and Cons of Electric vs Petrol Mowers for a medium size garden? say 200ftx 80ft.

medium: at 200 by 80:D

go petrol self start self drive

eg google for stiga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I should have qualified what I was asking about. We've a electric Qualcast mower its about 5 yrs old. 1700 watt, 40cm blade. Still perfect. Garden roughly that area and its been fine. Only problem is like you say if you don't get to do it 4 to 6 weeks, like this summer, and the grass is a little damp, it will struggle on the really long stuff. You'll have to take two cuts. Just takes longer. I got an electric because sometimes I end up cutting some other gardens and the electric was much smaller and lighter to throw in the back of the car.

However I want to leave a mower at the other house now, and I don't think it will get cut as often as I do, and thus an electric similar to mine isn't going to cut it (literally) if its let grow long. Thus I was looking for a better electric than mine, so they wouln't have the hassle of getting petrol etc. But I can't find any decent electric mowers now. They are all lightweight crud, and smaller than what I have. I can't see them lasting at all. The cheap petrol mowers at 150~200 seem pretty poor too. I can see most of the plastic fitting breaking quickly on them too.

So I guess what I should have asked whats a good robust lawnmover thats cheap. After finding nothing much in the shops, no decent electric mowers. I'm tempted to buy the cheapest petrol mower in Argos €150 and pay the €30 3yr cover. I have another petrol mower I could use but the exhaust is broken and I need to make up a new one for it. Its over 20yrs old but other than the exhaust still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Pick up a new exhaust for it , if its survived this long it'll probably live on for a few more years no problem

• Advertisement

bushy... wrote:
    Pick up a new exhaust for it , if its survived this long it'll probably live on for a few more years no problem

Where, I don't even know what make it is. I was going to try make one up with some scrap metal I have in the workstop. I guess all it really needs is to be is a heat shield so it doesn't damage anything else including the operator! Its not gone completely so its not too loud.

A lawnmower repair place should have something , only real difference might be the flange that bolts to the engine, if so just cut the one off the old exhaust and weld it on.

bushy... wrote:
    A lawnmower repair place should have something , only real difference might be the flange that bolts to the engine, if so just cut the one off the old exhaust and weld it on.

Doh. I Never thought of that. I try some places during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

There is a old guy in inchicore village who fixes petrol lawnmowers. He has loads of them out the back for parts. He's not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Electric:
    Pro: Cheap
    Con: Useless

Petrol:
    Pro: Better than electric
    Con: More expensive than Electric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Electric:
    Plug it in.
    Cut grass.
    Plug it out. JOB DONE.

Petrol:
    Pickup jerry-can.
    Put in car.
    Drive car to petrol station.
    Fill with flammable petrol...

(you see where I'm going with this...?) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Electric;

Scene 1.
    Plug it in
    Cut long wet grass
    Produce lots of smoke
    Plug it out.

Scene 2.
    Plug in mower no 2
    Cut long wet grass
    Lose sight of 300ft trailing flex in long wet grass
    Accidentally cut trailing flex
    Paramedic plugs it out.

Scene 3.
    Widow employs local handyman
    Handyman cuts long wet grass with petrol mower which he refills from
    safety can
    Handyman comforts grieving widow
    Job well and truly done.;)

If Bmaxi's electric lawn mower user is that thick, then so can the petrol mower user...

Scene 1:
    Fill with petrol.
    Cut long wet grass.
    Light a fag.
    Refill tank because it's empty (again!).
    Fireball engulfs mower, grass area.
    Firebrigade quenches flames.

Scene 2:
    Widow tarmacs the garden.
    ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the most tame statistic i've heard about petrol mowers is that one mower produces 40 times the pollutants (CO2 not included) that a modern car would.

another statistic was that one petrol mower will produce the same pollutants as driving 16,000 miles in a modern car.

You're correct. They are two-stroke engines, so don't properly convert all the available energy to power.

Eh - well, they don't do as good a job as a 4-stroke anyhow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

10-10-20 wrote:
    You're correct. They are two-stroke engines, so don't properly convert all the available energy to power.

Eh - well, they don't do as good a job as a 4-stroke anyhow.
    exactly - here's more unburned petrol in the exhaust, and no catalytic converter either to catch what's unburned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

But you get that lovely two-stroke smell, combined with that lovely smell of freshly cut grass.

No doubt one of life's greatest pleasures. It's the reason i like cutting grass

..and oil fumes in the exhaust too. They burn a mix of petrol and oil, not just petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I have never seen a 2 stroke lawnmower. I'm sure they existed way back, but I doubt there's any of them still around except maybe in museums.

All modern petrol mowers are 4 stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

10-10-20 wrote:
    ..and oil fumes in the exhaust too. They burn a mix of petrol and oil, not just petrol.

There are 4 stroke mowers aswell you know! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Never heard of em... Must be a new thing as of last week...

(Whoops, I'm off)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

buy a petrol mower with a mulcher, saves having to lift the grass every time.:D

Only problem with the mulcher is that if you have kids that play in the garden, they'll have the short clippings in the house on their feet AND they say that you'll have more moss and dead stuff at the base of the grass that'll need scarifying much more frequently.

BTW 10 10 20, can we take if from your last post that you admit you really didn't know what you were talking about when you made references to 2 stroke mowers???:D

Avns1s wrote:

BTW 10 10 20, can we take if from your last post that you admit you really didn't know what you were talking about when you made references to 2 stroke mowers???:D
    Yes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

One of the joys of boards is avoiding reading a thread for days because you think it might be boring only to find it is probably the funniest threads in months.:D

Thanks guys, brightened up my afternoon. ;)

By the way, petrol ftw.

10-10-20 wrote:
    Electric:
    Plug it in.
    Cut grass.
    Plug it out. JOB DONE.

Petrol:
    Pickup jerry-can.
    Put in car.
    Drive car to petrol station.
    Fill with flammable petrol...

(you see where I'm going with this...?) :)

That was my thinking especially when the occupants might not have a car. But then if the electric struggles and is too much hassle they won't bother cutting it, or burn out the motor trying to cut it in one go when its too long.

I don't think its cut and dried (sorry) that petrol > electric.

Someone commented to me that 2 stokes are better for hills terrain, I assume because of oil problems. When I went looking for a oil for the mower, I was asked was it for 2 stoke or 4 so I guess they are still popular enough,.

Had a 2stroke mower years ago , they are lighter ( only 3 moving parts ) and powerful for its size. Use nice ( more expensive ) oil , smells much better.

Its kinda hard to find a decent lawnmower store with people who know something about them.

10-10-20 wrote:
    Yes! :D

LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

32cm manual cylinder for extreme, hardcore lawn mowing.

Advertisement