Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Electric vs Petrol Mowers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

GreeBo wrote:
    32cm manual cylinder for extreme, hardcore lawn mowing.
    Not so ridiculous if you get a model like a Husqvarna 40cm Diamant or Novolette cylinder hand mower which could easily handle that sort of area if you were disciplined enough to cut every week. It would easily last longer than an electric or cheap petrol mower too and give a better finish but you'd really need to be disciplined about cutting the lawn regularly.

As for the OP's exhaust. If it is a Briggs & Stratton and most are you should be able to get a screw in exhaust for less than 10 euro from a lawnmower service agent. Perhaps it has a bolt on exhaust at the moment but if you remove it you will probably see a thread on the exhaust port.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

10-10-20 wrote:
    You're correct. They are two-stroke engines, so don't properly convert all the available energy to power.

incorrect - cc for cc, two-strokes are more powerful. True, not as efficient, but still more powerfull. That's why there are no two-stroke chainsaws/consaws/strimmers etc.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

galwaytt wrote:
    That's why there are no two-stroke chainsaws/consaws/strimmers etc.......

Presume you mean there are no 4 stroke chainsaws etc.

Another reason is that a 2 stroke engine will still run safely when turned on it's side which would be an essential element of any of these type of small tools. It wouldn't be necessary for lawnmowers (in most cases :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

galwaytt wrote:
    incorrect - cc for cc, two-strokes are more powerful. True, not as efficient, but still more powerfull. That's why there are no two-stroke chainsaws/consaws/strimmers etc.......

Honda have a range of four stroke strimmers with main selling points of high(er) torque, no mixing, low fuel consumption and low emmissions.

Two stroke engine may be more powerful but lack of torque counts against them when used on a lawnmower when it is launched in to a lawn that hasn't been cut in a month. Emmissions and the fact that people are terminally stupid and don't understand that they need to mix the petrol with Oil means they don't get used much except by professionel landscapers for specific applications.

Advertisement