Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concreting a small space...

Options
  • 25-08-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Quick DIY question... I am getting rid of a small shrubbery on front of my house as I have zero interest in flowers and could do with the bit of space for wheelie bin etc...

Anyhoo, I was just wondering how 'do-able' it would be to concrete it myself?

The space is about 6ft x 4ft... At the moment, there is soil and woodchips there for the flowers (which I've just removed)... Would it be necessary to hire a small cement-mixer?

Can someone recommend how to go about doing this and how much it might cost or would I be better off getting someone who knows what they're doing?

It's at the very front of the house so I wouldn't like to be left with a horrible eyesore in front of the place ye know...

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patdbaker

doable by hand depending on how deep your concrete will be. if only taking weight of wheelie bin 4" would be ok, you'll have 2-3 wheelbarrows of concrete - guesstimation.

if supporting weight of front of a car maybe deeper concrete required, 4" most likely ok.if possibe hire out / borrow a small cement mixer, it will make the job faster and easier.

cost: 1-2 wheel barrow of sand, 1-2 wheelbarrow of gravel and 4-5 20kg bags of cement, not sure of prices, hardware/builders providers charge for delivery also.

toolhire cost for cement mixer, not sure, they charge to deliver and collect, you can pick them up yourself if u have a car trailer/van/jeep.

you can do the whole thing with a shovel and a plaster's float (for making concrete nice and smooth)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thanks Pat,

Four inches should do so because it will rarely be even walked on to be honest...

I was worried that there might be a chance of it sinking after a while if there's just loose soil underneath? Should I dig it down as level as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patdbaker

if the ground is soft you can dig down a few inches extra and throw some stone / rubble in and compact it the best you can. a layer of gravel on this stone will help compact it.no need for a whacker/compacter a few belts of a shovel should do the trick. this will stop any sinking. if strength of concrete is rich enough you'll be ok, haven't mixed concrete in years but think the ratio was 3 sand 2 gravel 1 cement. maybe ask at builders providers they are usually good with advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

rent the concrete mixer, much better job and easier on the back: u can measure the proportions using a bucket.

The more cement u use the stronger it will be: 4:1 or 6:1 will be plenty.
    if the day u do it is v hot cover it and keep it wet for a day or so, else it may crack: also the more cement u usethe more water u need after to keep it wet as the process of setting is a chemical reaction which generates heat ,

Have u a solid edge on the four sides or do u need to build side supports

If u add a bit of plasticiser it will make the levelling/screeding and finishing much easier.
    At the very end when it has gone off a bit u should scratch the surface with a brush to make it no slip: if u make the surface too smooth it may get slippy under the bin.

post a pic of existing if u can

I have a solid edge on three sides so will use a length of wood on the other...

The area actually has five sides. But I will be squaring off the 6ftx4ft area and leaving a triangle as soil/woodchipping for a creeping plant that is still there... Is it possible that the roots of this plant will push the concrete up underneath in latter years?

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote:
    I have a solid edge on three sides so will use a length of wood on the other...

The area actually has five sides. But I will be squaring off the 6ftx4ft area and leaving a triangle as soil/woodchipping for a creeping plant that is still there... Is it possible that the roots of this plant will push the concrete up underneath in latter years?

no, unless it grows ito a tree:)

make sure the length of wood is secured well and propped in the middle to stop it bowing out when u put in the concrete

Great,

Thanks for your advice lads... Sure I'll give it a whack and let yis know how it goes - might even post a pic!

WHIP IT! wrote:
    Great,

Thanks for your advice lads... Sure I'll give it a whack and let yis know how it goes - might even post a pic!

Its now Sunday morning: have u not done it yet: need sto be done before the Dubs lick kerry later

ircoha wrote:
    Its now Sunday morning: have u not done it yet: need sto be done before the Dubs lick kerry later

You can't work on Sundays Man - it's GOD'S day! :)

Besides, right now, just getting off this couch sounds like too much work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

save yourself this hardship just ring roadstone and get them to deliver!!!
    if its in the front he can pour it straight on its not that expensive to buy and you can order your mix!!

• Advertisement

IRISH RAIL wrote:
    save yourself this hardship just ring roadstone and get them to deliver!!!
    if its in the front he can pour it straight on its not that expensive to buy and you can order your mix!!

due to the size of the pour, the minimum delivery charge will click in.

Also do u really want a big truck perhaps cracking ur drive

If the OP is too lazy to get off the couch,:D maybe he could try some of the Mini-mix people: they mix it on site in the lorry and pour it.
    http://www.kilkennyminimix.ie/

Get them up for the All-ireland:)

see http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

for cals

Advertisement