Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Balustrades for Patios

Options
  • 25-08-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I live in the Cork area. We have a large outdoor patio but it is often windy due to the exposed unsheltered location... would like to put a glass (or plexiglass) balustrade around the patio to allow the countryside views but also to stop the wind... does anyone know where you can purchase glass balustrades for patios?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

See http://www.leslie-reynolds.ie/leslie-reynolds/Main/Home.htm

are in cork: they do all the fittings and if u are handy u could just order the glass to suit, or cut the plexi your self: IMO go the glass, easier to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 steelman

I have a very similar situation. I installed tanalised wooden ballustrade uprights 3" and then got 3x1.5" rail with all corners rounded and put this across the top of the posts for the railing. Then i put the same rail on its side at the bottom with 10mm toughened glass running between the 2 on glass clamp brkts. If you need the glass clamps of the brackets for joining the rails to the posts I can get them.

I would not recommend the stainless option as it might look a bit out of place in a domestic setting and is extremely expensive , this is why i went for wood. The only downside is that it will probably need painting in a few years.
    Also I find that it only really blocks the wind if you are sitting right beside it as the wind still comes over the top as the rail is only about 1m high. Also the glass will need to be toughened for safety and could cost approx €40-50 per m2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JD2007

ircoha wrote:
    See http://www.leslie-reynolds.ie/leslie-reynolds/Main/Home.htm

are in cork: they do all the fittings and if u are handy u could just order the glass to suit, or cut the plexi your self: IMO go the glass, easier to maintain.

Thanks for the advice Ircoha... I appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JD2007

steelman wrote:
    I have a very similar situation. I installed tanalised wooden ballustrade uprights 3" and then got 3x1.5" rail with all corners rounded and put this across the top of the posts for the railing. Then i put the same rail on its side at the bottom with 10mm toughened glass running between the 2 on glass clamp brkts. If you need the glass clamps of the brackets for joining the rails to the posts I can get them.

I would not recommend the stainless option as it might look a bit out of place in a domestic setting and is extremely expensive , this is why i went for wood. The only downside is that it will probably need painting in a few years.
    Also I find that it only really blocks the wind if you are sitting right beside it as the wind still comes over the top as the rail is only about 1m high. Also the glass will need to be toughened for safety and could cost approx €40-50 per m2.

Thanks also for the advice Steelman and I appreciate it

Advertisement