Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Problem

Options
  • 25-08-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

could anyone offer some advice as to what the problem my dad's Avensis 1.8 Luna (2005)is having?

This morning after he went shopping, he went back to the car, and he turned the key. Nothing at all happened. It didn't even make that sound one normally hears when the battery is flat. He then rang the AA, and they said they would be out to him. In the meanwhile, while he was waiting, he had another go at starting the car. It started first go, but the Clock had now reset itself to 0:00.

He turned it off, and when the AA man came, he tried to start the car again, and again nothing was heard, not even the sound a car makes with a flat battery. Then the AA man put a battery booster on to the car, and it started again prefectly.

Now, my dad thinks it is the battery is flat, but I don't because if it were, surley a car can't not start(or even having the starting motor making no noise) and then without being touched, start perfectly, and then not start again. Like the starting motor wasn't making the sound it makes when a battery was flat, i.e., when the key was turned to start, the car made no noise whatsoever.

I suggested to him to take the car to Kearys as its our nearest dealer, and get them to plug in the computer into the car, and see what fault codes come up(if any) as opposed to just simply replacing the battery.

So has anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem maybe, because while I may know a lot about cars, I'm not that good when it comes to matters under the bonnet.

All advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just call the dealer - the car's still under factory warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Could be a loose or corroded connection at the battery - especially given that the clock reset.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yep, loose earth or battery terminal. just bring it to a dealer,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

E92 wrote:
    Hi folks,

could anyone offer some advice as to what the problem my dad's Avensis 1.8 Luna (2005)is having?

This morning after he went shopping, he went back to the car, and he turned the key. Nothing at all happened. It didn't even make that sound one normally hears when the battery is flat. He then rang the AA, and they said they would be out to him. In the meanwhile, while he was waiting, he had another go at starting the car. It started first go, but the Clock had now reset itself to 0:00.

He turned it off, and when the AA man came, he tried to start the car again, and again nothing was heard, not even the sound a car makes with a flat battery. Then the AA man put a battery booster on to the car, and it started again prefectly.

Now, my dad thinks it is the battery is flat, but I don't because if it were, surley a car can't not start(or even having the starting motor making no noise) and then without being touched, start perfectly, and then not start again. Like the starting motor wasn't making the sound it makes when a battery was flat, i.e., when the key was turned to start, the car made no noise whatsoever.

I suggested to him to take the car to Kearys as its our nearest dealer, and get them to plug in the computer into the car, and see what fault codes come up(if any) as opposed to just simply replacing the battery.

So has anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem maybe, because while I may know a lot about cars, I'm not that good when it comes to matters under the bonnet.

All advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It could be a few things. It is possible that it is a faulty battery, but it could also be a dodgy starter motor that is sticking - this could cause a drain significant enough to deprive the clock of current causing it to reset. It could also, as suggested above, be a dodgy/corroded earth strap or positive lead.

If it is put on a diagnosis machine in Keary's, it is possible that no show faults will show in the fault memory - I'd almost bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

My money is on a faulty ignition switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My money is on a faulty ignition switch.
    That actually crossed my mind, but the way the clock resets threw me more towards a power supply problem. The clock should be supplied with power irrespective of ignition switch position.

Advertisement