Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap wireless Adaptor

• 25-08-2007 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

does anyone know if there is a cheaper wireless adaptor that will definately work with xbox live cos i dont want to pay the rip off 80euro for the official xbox adaptor

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've heard the original xbox adapter works. But it's pretty hard to come by afaik. I don't think it was even released over here. Maybe try ebay.

Or you could just pick up a cheap wireless router or access point and use that. A regular usb adapter won't work.

I spent a lot of time trying to share my imac's wireless connection with my 360 but eventually gave up and got the 360 adapter. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I spent a lot of time trying to share my imac's wireless connection with my 360 but eventually gave up and got the 360 adapter. :(
    Yeah, you can connect to a PC using the supplied ethernet cable - and access Xbox Live through its internet connection. I tried this but gave up due to the trouble I was having with my software firewall and DHCP. I bought the MS wireless adapter, second hand, for €40.

I met up with the guy selling it outside a store that were selling it, new, for €50. Didn't realize it at the time though. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Fnz wrote:
    Yeah, you can connect to a PC using the supplied ethernet cable - and access Xbox Live through its internet connection.

doesnt this completely negate the whole point of a wireless adpter in the first place :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

miju wrote:
    doesnt this completely negate the whole point of a wireless adpter in the first place :D:D:D
    The pc/laptop might be using a wireless connection for the internet.
    Its actually a pretty damn good idea, might even give it a try myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

€50 in Peats, parnell street

• Advertisement

miju wrote:
    doesnt this completely negate the whole point of a wireless adpter in the first place
    Well, I had hoped it would negate the need for me to buy a wireless adapter! :D

As tman earlier suggested, my PC does uses a wireless connection for the internet. I should have pointed that out in my earlier post. I decided that €40 was a good price considering the time and stress involved in getting technology to do stuff I don't know how to do, whilst maintaining network security. :D
    ShaneU wrote:
    €50 in Peats, parnell street
    I think they sold out of them a while ago. Did they get in more stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

I got mine from ebay for about 30euro a few months back from hong kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Eircom Wireless USB adapter, only €15 in PC World. Works well with Eircom connection as it is aloud through a medium level firewall, excellent for sercurity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nailz wrote:
    Eircom Wireless USB adapter, only €15 in PC World. Works well with Eircom connection as it is aloud through a medium level firewall, excellent for sercurity.
    The only usb wireless adapter that you can use is the MS one, you want an ethernet to wireless adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I've a the same one that I mentioned and it does work on it, no MS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nailz wrote:
    I've a the same one that I mentioned and it does work on it, no MS.
    And it's plugged directly into the USB port of the 360, not the ethernet port?

Got a link to a page for this device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Fnz wrote:
    Yeah, you can connect to a PC using the supplied ethernet cable - and access Xbox Live through its internet connection.

There are guides for this for sale on Ebay

neacy69 wrote:
    There are guides for this for sale on Ebay
    You're kidding! Why would they sell guides on how to connect a 360 to Live through your PC when there are websites that give you this information for free.

That's just... baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ah but not full step-by-step fully illustrated idiot proof guides on how to do it ;)

neacy69 wrote:
    ah but not full step-by-step fully illustrated idiot proof guides on how to do it ;)
    Wow, if these thing are actually selling, MS should be asking itself some tough questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Will a wireless usb key not do the same job?

Duffff-Man wrote:
    Will a wireless usb key not do the same job?
    I don't belive so, only the official MS one should work via USB.

Nailz claims to be using a wireless device from Eircom though, but I have yet to be convinced of it's existance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

You could just get a really long ethernet cable on Ebay, that is the cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Nialz give us some more info on that Eircom Wireless USB adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

would you be able to bridge a wireless router to another router and connect that way ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I think Nailz was a little confused.

The only adapter that currently works is the Official M$ one.

However, they are rumored to be including 3rd party support in the next dashboard update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

bennyc wrote:
    would you be able to bridge a wireless router to another router and connect that way ???
    Sure, I have two Airport base stations and I have one set up as a remote base station so it shares the main router's internet connection. I'm not sure how this would work with others routers however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

same question as the op, does anyone know who is selling the official wireless adaptor at a decent price right now?

thanks

Advertisement