Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2gb vs 3 gb ram

Options
  • 25-08-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm upgrading some of my computer and I was going to go to 2gb of ram from 1gb of this ram

(Corsair XMS2 5400 DDR2, 1024MB PC5400 64Meg x 8, CAS 4-4-4-12, 667MHz, 240pin)

but since prices are cheap enough at the moment should I spend an extra 50 and get 3gb or get myself a pair of headphones for the computer?

I'm mostly upgrading for gaming purposes.

Cheers Eamonn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What operating system do you have? if its a 32bit OS then 3gb is what you should go for, as it wont recognise anymore. If you are running a 64bit OS go with 4gb. As its mainly for games the more ram the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

I have xp32bit so I reckon I'll go up to the 3gb.

Another quick question, I was reading somewhere about there being bottlenecks with ram if you're cpu isnt fast enough. I have a athlon 64 3800+ x2, should that be ok with the extra ram? I'm also going to throw in a ati x1950pro.

Cheers, Eamonn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have xp32bit so I reckon I'll go up to the 3gb.

Another quick question, I was reading somewhere about there being bottlenecks with ram if you're cpu isnt fast enough. I have a athlon 64 3800+ x2, should that be ok with the extra ram? I'm also going to throw in a ati x1950pro.

Cheers, Eamonn

I think you have that a bit mixed up. It's more like if your ram isn't fast enough it can be a bit of a bottleneck to the processor. That ram is fine for the cpu you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

tuxy wrote:
    I think you have that a bit mixed up. It's more like if your ram isn't fast enough it can be a bit of a bottleneck to the processor. That ram is fine for the cpu you have.
    Good stuff,thanks very much!

Advertisement