Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best video card for 24" monitor?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A 8800GTX is needed for a 24" screen if you plan to use max settings and AA + AF. If not use a 8800gts 640mb version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He's not using it for gaming.

An 8600 or Radeon HD 2600 would do the job nicely, the Radeon has better support in Vista at the moment.

The only issue with 4 GB of RAM is that 32bit windows won't recognise all of it, there's no harm in having it, and it's probably better to get 2x2gig modules or 4x1gig then to try and got 2x1gig + 2x512mb.

In saying that, i'm running Vista x64 here on a Q6600 with 4GB Ram and it's great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

Thanks a lot, astrofool. Will go for XFX GeForce 8600GTS.

And btw what cooling are you using on your Q6600?
    Still not sure about that heatsink - is it really better??

Cheers.

Use the HSF i have in my sig, its the best on the market.

I use a Zalman 9700 myself, but then I want a very quiet system (haven't needed to overclock for a few years now, and I use it for development so need it to be 100% stable :)). However, the ThermalRIGHT in Anti's sig seems to be one of the best on the market at the moment, even if Anti is confusing the maker with the spawn of the devil that is ThermalTAKE.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-039-TR&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

Bear in mind you'll also need to get a 120mm fan to go with it, and also (and Anti might be able to confirm this), the 120mm fan can't have "pillars" where the corner mounting holes are due to the way the clips hold the fan.

Something like this looks fine: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-001-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4 (see the way you can see the screw holes on the far side, that means that there are no pillars).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You should always consider komplett's bundles there usually excellent value.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338524

Same Cpu, very similar mobo(its actually a little more expensive), and 4gb of ram for like a tenner less, only a tenner but its 4gs of ram and you only have to pay for delivery off one website. Free anti static wrist band too!

Edit: I have a Radeon HD 2600, i only have a 22" so its not full hd but it still looks the business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

witness just out of curiosity what the heck is a 900XL mobile card? Never heard of...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You've never heard of a 900xl!? Well the reason you've never is simply because its typed wrong! its a x700xl and its what ever card came in my medion (insert numbers here that i dont know!) laptop. Ive had that Sig for about a year and its been wrong all along!!!!!

Anti wrote:
    Use the HSF i have in my sig, its the best on the market.
    I'm not sure if it fits in my case - that thing looks HUGE
    astrofool wrote:
    I use a Zalman 9700 myself, but then I want a very quiet system (haven't needed to overclock
    Thanks again, astrofool. Actually quietness is the No1 priority in my build. Is this Zalman 9700 you're using? Is it really quiet? BTW I'm not going to overclock either.

You should always consider komplett's bundles there usually excellent value.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338524

Same Cpu, very similar mobo(its actually a little more expensive), and 4gb of ram for like a tenner less, only a tenner but its 4gs of ram and you only have to pay for delivery off one website. Free anti static wrist band too!
    Nice bundle but I'd like Q6600 G0 & ABIT IP35 PRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

why bother go for a G0 if you are not overclcoking and an abit ip35 if you are not overclocking ?

the biggest reason people are making a big thing about the g0s is because they clock great and run cooler.also abit is a knowin overclcokers board if i was you i would go for any q6600 and any bog standered p35 mobo (asus,gigabite) you will save some money and can send it on other things.

awhir wrote:
    why bother go for a G0 if you are not overclcoking and an abit ip35 if you are not overclocking ?

the biggest reason people are making a big thing about the g0s is because they clock great and run cooler.also abit is a knowin overclcokers board if i was you i would go for any q6600 and any bog standered p35 mobo (asus,gigabite) you will save some money and can send it on other things.

Very well said. I have to agree with him. Also, i would not bother with a zalman cooler for a Q6600. It just wont keep it cool. The TT ultra 120 ultra extreme should fit in most cases. I have about 1" clearance in my case. And with a scythe s-flex it will be alot cooler the the zalman 9700. There is a 9700 in the pc next to me now, and it makes a awfull racket at full speed.

I had a Zalman on my old system and Q-Fan kept it quiet, but for whatever reason Q-Fan doesn't kick in on the new system, so I use the Zalman fan speed regulator, and it doesn't make any noise at all, and the chip is kept cool.

And for F*cks sake Anti, thermalright make your heatsink, not thermaltake, I don't know where you're getting the TT from.

Yeah i always mix then two up :(

Thanks a lot guys for your help, really appreciate it.
    I'm currently looking at this Coolink Silentator & according to this review it's worse than Ultra-120 eXtreme by only 1 degree.
    So, considering it's much lighter then Ultra-120 eXtreme, smaller & cheaper I'll probably go for this one.
    What do you guys think?

P.S.
    And it comes with fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

pcolan wrote:
    Thanks a lot guys for your help, really appreciate it.
    I'm currently looking at this Coolink Silentator & according to this review it's worse than Ultra-120 eXtreme by only 1 degree.
    So, considering it's much lighter then Ultra-120 eXtreme, smaller & cheaper I'll probably go for this one.
    What do you guys think?

P.S.
    And it comes with fan.

dont think they are reviewing the tr ultra with a fan..........while they are with that other hs.go for the Tr IMHO

awhir wrote:
    dont think they are reviewing the tr ultra with a fan..........while they are with that other hs.go for the Tr IMHO
    Actually they do & they use the same fan for both Ultra-120 eXtreme & Coolink Silentator. It's just on the previous page of that review.

They are also using a AMD chip. Why are you going to ask for oppinions if you seem to pretty much have your spec mapped out already? Do you think we are lying to you or something. The people here that bought the ultra 120 extreme did so because it is the best cooler on the market for a c2d or q2d cpu. Also them temps are idle temps.. I bet there will be a much bigger difference under load.

Anti wrote:
    Why are you going to ask for oppinions if you seem to pretty much have your spec mapped out already?
    Actually I haven't, because following your advice I'm not considering Zalman 9700
    Anti wrote:
    There is a 9700 in the pc next to me now, and it makes a awfull racket at full speed.
    Anti wrote:
    Do you think we are lying to you or something.
    I don't think you're lying I'm just looking for an alternative.

Cool cool. Just take advantage of our experience, we wont steer you in the wrong direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I have the ThermalRight same as Anti, Well worth the money!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement