Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GameStop - Store rules

• 25-08-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

I went to GameStop in Newbridge this morning to pick up MotoGP07. I had a €30.00 gift card and handed over the game, the gift card and my laser card. The twit behind the counter swiped my gift card taking the €30.00 from it then picked up my laser card and said the balance would be €39.99. Yes I said take it from my laser card. He then asks me for picture ID. I asked him was he messing or what...... apparantley the rule for GameStop in Newbridge is if you pay with a laser card that has not got Chin and Pin they require ID. Get with the real world guys I've never had to produce ID before. I told him to stick his transaction and put the €30.00 back on the gift card and I walked out. I then went to GameStop in Naas and done the same transaction and no ID was required. I said it to the guy in Naas what went on and he was amazed at what happened. GameStop in Newbridge has some real customer service problems and I wont be going there again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

In fairness... this is common practice in the US with credit cards. They do not have chip and pin there yet.
    The store has probably had stolen cards used in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

your supposed to ask for id when someone is paying with laser. the second guy you went to was the one doing his job wrong. you seem like one of the fun customers to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

How come I don't have to show ID anywhere else, in any supermarket, in any petrol station, I never have to show ID. If it's the case that ID is to be produced, should the type of card used not be the first thing that gets checked rather than half doing a transacton. Should there not be a notice up clearly in store to say ID is required if your laser card is not chip and pin. I'm pretty sure when chip and pin was introduced it was common practise to still accept signature until all banks switched. When all said and done if I was going to be on the fiddle I would have tried to pay more than €39.99 with my laser.
    I work in customer service so I know what a fun customer is to deal with and I'm not one of them. If the two guys behind the counter knew what they were doing how come it took 10 mins to put the €30.00 back onto the gift card and while I was at the counter one guy turned to the other telling him how to breakdown a cardboard box.........lmao

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I work in a shop and we're only told to ask for ID when swiping a card that isn't signed. Some places are a lot more strict though, especially with Laser cards as they don't have the same protection as a credit card afaik.

Anyway the guy was just doing as he was told. His manager must made a big deal out of it as most shop assistants wouldn't give a s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

jesus youre some sap. sounds like youhad a stolen card or somethin. nearly all europeans I serve in work produce their ID automatically. would you like if someone found your card and went and spent your money? dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

why are you getting worked up over this id prefer they did it everywhere would cut down on fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Since march 17th of last year they don't have to accept a laser card that doesn't have chip and pin at all. Just get with the times and get one with a chip and avoid hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

Permanent TSB don't offer a laser card with chip and pin yet, that's why I haven't got one. As for would I care if someone stole my card and used it, of course I would. Evad your a bit of a sap yourself if you think I was going to say no I wouldn't care about that.
    I'd prefer if asking for ID was done everywhere then I'd have known to bring it and it wouldn't have been a hassle. What I didn't like was standing at the counter with a transaction half done and then be made feel like a criminal. Should the first thing that is checked not be the type of card you use......Or have a notice up.

This is very common all around the world and it makes alot more sense. Then looking at a signature .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Julez wrote:
    Since march 17th of last year they don't have to accept a laser card that doesn't have chip and pin at all. Just get with the times and get one with a chip and avoid hassle!

This is true and it was very well advertised but it obviously passed you by:rolleyes: .

Your last post says you never know this as it's not always enforced. Fair enough if there's no sign, I know my local Tesco has signs on every till.
    But you blame your lack of knowledge on the fact that it isn't always enforced or they don't have signs?

So you handed a game, a gift card and a laser card to the "twit". He entered the game on the till, used your gift card and then used the Laser card. Sounds to be the perfect order for a transaction to be done. Would you have been happy if you were asked for ID 30 seconds earlier before he even looked at the game?

Tbh, a letter of apology is due to that guy since you "told him to stick" your game and he was only doing his job. For someone who who works in customer service I'd have expected better as you should know what abusive and difficult customers are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

el rabitos wrote:
    your supposed to ask for id when someone is paying with laser. the second guy you went to was the one doing his job wrong. you seem like one of the fun customers to deal with

They can request it if the signatures don't match. I have used my laser card in countless shops and have never been asked for id. I worked at the Ryder Cup event, one of the most secure things i've experienced and we were never told to ask Americans without chip and pin cards for photo identification.

However op, did you not have any form of photo identification in your wallet at all, a college id, bus travel card, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

4Xcut wrote:
    They can request it if the signatures don't match. I have used my laser card in countless shops and have never been asked for id. I worked at the Ryder Cup event, one of the most secure things i've experienced and we were never told to ask Americans without chip and pin cards for photo identification.

whats your point? just because you were not told to, does not mean your boss was right not to inform you.

be prepared if you want to use laser. obviously differend shops, even under the same company umbrella have differing policys when it comes to checking lasers, depending on how strictly the manager and LPO want to run the shops security. but either way, they are well within their right to ask you to show i.d and its your own fault if you dont have it. no need to start pissing and crying about it OP, like an oul fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I wouldn't blame the shop for being a bit weary of taking cards without chips on them.

As was mentioned before, PTSB are the only Irish bank that have not yet rolled out chip and pin. Under the new rules governing the use of chip and pin a shop has no recourse in regard to chargebacks it they choose to accept a signature instead of a PIN, therefore I am not surprised that some shops require photo ID to accept a card without chip and PIN.

In my opinion all shops should make PTSB customers lives, in relation to use of their cards, as difficult as possible eg requiring photo ID etc, this would lead to the customer complaining to PTSB which may finally force them to get off their a**es and actually issue cards with chips on them, which all the other banks in the country have done for at least the last 2 years.

PTSB should be expelled from membership in the Laser and VISA schemes (they don't issue Mastercard) until they comply with the terms of membership

I'm not really too surprised that PTSB are so far behind everyone else due to the fact that the staff they inherited from TSB still believe that they are civil servants and are some of the most unhelpful people that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I work in a shop and if the dont have the pin, then they sign, really have no huge choice. I think it is the Permanent TSB laser card are the only bank still without chip/pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Rochie IRL wrote:
    How come I don't have to show ID anywhere else, in any supermarket, in any petrol station, I never have to show ID.

So you berate the one shop assistant that does their job properly instead of the countless others who don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

legally from march this year cards not with chip and pin do not have to be accepted. Old laser cards that are swipe only now require photo id along with it.

This is law and legislation.

In my argos store we dont ask for id, we should but we dont really, then again no one comes in with old laser cards.

Your bank is obliged by law to provide customers with laser cards with chip and pin technology.

TSB does indeed offer a card with a chip, so I advise you get in touch with them to avoid further hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm also with Permanent TSB and no they haven't issued any chip and pin laser cards to me or any of the people I know who are banking with them and own a laser card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The guy was only following procedure, the other staff member shouldn't have used your card without ID, thats it.
    No need for the name calling though.
    Also, if your bank hasn't issued you a chip and pin card, ask them why and threaten that you'll move your account unless they do, don't want to appear a tool again now do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Overreact much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

kensutz wrote:
    I'm also with Permanent TSB and no they haven't issued any chip and pin laser cards to me or any of the people I know who are banking with them and own a laser card.
    EBS are the same - they're currently only issuing 'old' non-chip and PIN Laser cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

OP,

I work in an Xtravision branch and our rules would be the same as the original Gamestop you called into.

We've been told under no circumstances to accept non-chip & pin cards with the exception of Permanent TSB, who have yet to introduce chip & pin security into their cards, but customers who produce a PTSB card MUST produce picture I.D.

I'd start getting use to the idea of bringing picture ID with you as I reckon you may face this more and more often ...

Advertisement