Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do i put an insurance write off back of the road?

Options
  • 25-08-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Do I have to get it tested by the insurance company or what?

*dont want any replies saying its not worth it or it isnt safe*

cheers

Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Cars are written off for financial rather than safety reasons so I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What's the car? Fiesta?

I imagine it would have to pass the NCT. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the insurance company. They just think that it is beyond economical repair and have declared it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

it belongs to the insurance company.... if they pay out... sorry tho dont know what youd have to do theo...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

its an Audi lads (a4)

Yeah it was put off due to cost and not due to safety ... i lost a fight with a stone wall :(

Only the drivers side damage.....wing , bumper,bonnet

I know that if i sell the car on ...i have to declare that it was written off, but i just wondering is it just the NCT that i need to get done......i know....i should and will ask the mechanic...its just its late and i thought some of yee might know the procedure.

thanks again

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does the insurance company not give you a check for the value of the car less the salvage value? If thats the case then AFAIK you just get it fixed up and drive away. If they keep the car I think you can buy it back off them. I don't think the NCT cares unless it's also out of NCT, as they are so busy now I doubt you'd get a test.

I don't think there is any test needed, and I've never been asked when insuring a car was it written off before. The only issue I can see is when selling on you'll have to tell it was an insurance write, if they ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

If your car is written off then its deemed "unroadworthy" and therefore not covered under your insurance. It is a term of your policy that your vehicle must be kept roadworthy at all times.

If you repair it you must obtain an assessors report passing your car as roadworthy and this report must be sent to your Insurance company before they will re-insure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

MR DAZ wrote:
    its an Audi lads (a4)

Yeah it was put off due to cost and not due to safety ... i lost a fight with a stone wall :(

Only the drivers side damage.....wing , bumper,bonnet

I know that if i sell the car on ...i have to declare that it was written off, but i just wondering is it just the NCT that i need to get done......i know....i should and will ask the mechanic...its just its late and i thought some of yee might know the procedure.

thanks again

Daz

Daz I was in the same boat, and bought back a "write off" which was stated by the insurance company they said its over 2k damage and guess what i got it fixed for 150 euro.Now i just made 4300 profit on friday by selling the car.So just to get back on the point you can get it fixed and sell it and it doesnt have to go through a saftey test.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DaveD wrote:
    If your car is written off then its deemed "unroadworthy" and therefore not covered under your insurance. It is a term of your policy that your vehicle must be kept roadworthy at all times.

A ar can be written off on pretty much all cosmetic damage though if its bad enough, so replacing panels would have the car back in tip top shape.

I had a crash in my dads car a few years back. It was 7 years old at the time, the raditor was fecked but outside of that the damage was cosmetic. the insurance company considered it a write of but a few days in my uncles garage (panelbeater) and the car was good as new.

It doesnt have to be unsafe to be a write off, the damage just has to be above a certain % of the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DaveD wrote:

That's not correct. 'written off' = costs more to repair than the value of the car. If you can get a quote to repair it that your insurance company are willing to accept, they won't consider it a 'write off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Thanks for the replies folks.

The plan is to get it fixed and o hold on to it... i really do like the car, and it has a full service history from the UK and was / is an immaculate car inside.

Thanks again

Daz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

drdre wrote:
    Daz I was in the same boat, and bought back a "write off" which was stated by the insurance company they said its over 2k damage and guess what i got it fixed for 150 euro.Now i just made 4300 profit on friday by selling the car.So just to get back on the point you can get it fixed and sell it and it doesnt have to go through a saftey test.

You would want to be very careful here. A new owner could be informed by the insurance company that the car was previously a writeoff when they go to insure it. I hope you told the buyer the full story.

I would expect you could repair most damaged cars a lot cheaper thsn the insurance estimate but 2k down to €150 is not possible, not for the job to be done properly anyway.

As an aside, if you were sold a car under these circumstances by a dealer I imagine you would be up in arms about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

For a car to be a Write off the repairs have to be over 1/3 of the cars open market selling price.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Volvoboy wrote:
    For a car to be a Write off the repairs have to be over 1/3 of the cars open market selling price.

-VB-

Thats not a lot on a cheaper car though. A couple of new panels could right off a 5k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Volvoboy wrote:

-VB-

Not too sure what the percentage is but it has to be higher than 33%. Estimate of €2100 would write off a €6000 car. I think 80% would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

eth0_ wrote:
    That's not correct. 'written off' = costs more to repair than the value of the car. If you can get a quote to repair it that your insurance company are willing to accept, they won't consider it a 'write off'.

Whats not correct ? Read the policy document of any motor policy and it will state your car must be kept in a roadworthy condition at all times.

Written off is too broad a term to be used tbh. There are certain categories of Write Offs, A-D, which are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DaveD wrote:
    Whats not correct ? Read the policy document of any motor policy and it will state your car must be kept in a roadworthy condition at all times.

Written off is too broad a term to be used tbh. There are certain categories of Write Offs, A-D, which are used.

Obviously the insurance company won't release the repair money to you if they're not satisfied the car car be fixed and be roadworthy... :rolleyes:

Advertisement