Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A note to dog owners

Options
  • 25-08-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I live in the Court and have found that recently everyday when I come home from work somebodys dog has been in my garden digging up my plants and crapping all over the place. I would just like to remind dog owners in the Charlesland estate that it is an offence for you to let your dog out unattended and that under the Control of Dogs Act 1986 " dogs that are not under control are considered stray dogs".
    I am sure this is an area that is covered by the management companies also, and general common sense would suggest a loose dog is a potential menace to young children regardless of the breed.
    Rather than letting your dog run wild across the open plains of Charlesland, why not bring him for a walk, you might find the fresh air will do you both good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I live in the court also. The good folk of a certain estate next door do not conform to little technicalities like the law where dogs are concerned. As some of those folk have relatives on our street, there is a daily procession of muts back and forward over the stream and on to our street. Once here, they poo in our gardens. One of them is a wicklow collie type and is quite nasty. There is also a loser about with a staffie who takes him out without a mussle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Down home if stray dogs are on farm land and it's lambing season (or any season to be honest), they are shot without a second thought by the farmers.
    Everyone accepts this, it's the way it's always been so the dogs owner can forget about compensation as the garda will laugh you out of the station.

So it's lucky for the careless dogs owner that Winehouse lives in a town and not a rural farming community as it wouldn't be tolerated.

HI wineman. there is a product you can get to repel dogs from going on your lawn. You can get it at the petshop down in the village or woodies.

That will have to do unless you catch them at it,...........

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

I live in the court also. The good folk of a certain estate next door do not conform to little technicalities like the law where dogs are concerned. As some of those folk have relatives on our street, there is a daily procession of muts back and forward over the stream and on to our street. Once here, they poo in our gardens. One of them is a wicklow collie type and is quite nasty. There is also a loser about with a staffie who takes him out without a mussle.

Unfortunately it is not just dogs from our neighbouring estate but also some from my own street (last of the Courts) that are fouling up the place. I think I will buy that deterrent alright, I lived in Ballybrack for 3 years and left to get away from this crap..no pun intended.

If the staffie you mention is a white dog with a long snout I have seen this muppet drop shapes across the estate, its actually an English Bull Terrier and I would hate too see the damage it could do to someone. This guy cuts through the back of the Crescent so I dont think he is from here but just uses us as a shortcut for his walk to Greystones village for afternoon tea and scones....:D

Yeh thats the loser I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

if you know where that guy lives you should report him to the Wicklow County Council dog warden, as far as I know that breed is required by law to be muzzled. I can't believe someone would be such an idiot to bring an unmuzzled dog like that through an estate with so many children living in it, unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I'm assuming from your posts that this staffie/ebt dog is on a lead? Why would this dog do any more damage than any other dog? I don't understand this. He's on a lead & getting walked, what's the problem? I would be far more worried about the dogs that are allowed wander by careless owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cotton wrote:
    I'm assuming from your posts that this staffie/ebt dog is on a lead? Why would this dog do any more damage than any other dog? I don't understand this. He's on a lead & getting walked, what's the problem? I would be far more worried about the dogs that are allowed wander by careless owners.

Probably because many people (falsely) think that bull terriers are innately aggressive and dangerous dogs.

eoin_s wrote:
    Probably because many people (falsely) think that bull terriers are innately aggressive and dangerous dogs.

There is a reason why this dog is one of the eleven "Dangerous Breeds" classified by the government. Dublin City council are even introducing steps to ban them from all council housing estates.

Wineman wrote:
    There is a reason why this dog is one of the eleven "Dangerous Breeds" classified by the government. Dublin City council are even introducing steps to ban them from all council housing estates.

Here's a thread about this in the animal & pet issues forum about that. It's a crazy ban, but don't want to bring this thread any more off topic than I already have done.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Here's a thread about this in the animal & pet issues forum about that. It's a crazy ban, but don't want to bring this thread any more off topic than I already have done.
    Read that one, thanks Eoin. As usual when a control inititive is introduced where dogs or guns are concerned, the doomsday protagonists emerge. The new law has been discussed many times on the radio airwaves and it is obvious that it has been introduced as a pre-empive option to be used in a situation where people are concerned about a dog and its owner in their locality before it becomes a story in the newspaper.Staffies and Bull terriers are on the list of dangerous breeds for a reason, Must be muzzled when in public, end of story. Anyone who uses one of these dogs as a nanny is just downright irresponsible. Yes there are no bad dogs only bad owners but thats no good when a dog with a vice like grip gets a hold of a childs leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Sorry to go off topic here. Hammiepeters, ANY dog has the potential to bite. It's not down to the breed. There are more attacks by labs & spaniels than any other breed, difference is it doesn't sell headlines.
    The big problem is that if you ban these breeds, the scumbags that gave them a bad name will only replace them with other breeds.
    Where I worked, I never had any problems with the "dangerous Breeds" or any other large dog. I used to cringe when a pom or yorkie came in to have their nails clipped.
    To the op, I would be sincerely pissed off too if I had to clean up dog poo & my plants were ruined. I would try to find out who they are & have words with them. The dogs shouldn't be roaming & they're breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I sometimes see a Rottweiler being walked on the beach when I am down there with my dogs. And guess what, no lead, never mind a muzzle. I have no problem stopping in my tracks or backing up until he is gone - one of my dogs is a mini Yorkie and he gets tucked under my arm, for fear he would end up as lunch. The Rottweiler puts the fear of God into everyone within a 20km radius, you can see people freeze and/or backing up.

And on a tangent, the amount of dog poo down there is foul - I do clean up needless to say - I mean, its poo, faeces, sh**e, crawling with flies - and as meat eaters, not much different from our own, scattered all over the place.......

Finally, I know what you're thinking, but the Yorkie is neither yapper or biter !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Rotties are gentle dogs but in the hands of irresponsible owners can be a whole different prospect

If if this one is not on a leash or muzzled why not have him removed by the Gardaí or the Council's animal control unit?

That would be a nasty shock for a very negligent owner and would result in hefty fines for the owner and/or destruction of the dog. If it is as scary a dog as you say, why wait for it to attack a child before acting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I don't have any dogs myself but I do think that any dog left to roam the greens freely during the day is of a risk to children (and adults!). There are serious health issues here, especially if the dog has not been vaccinated.

There is a dog (not sure of breed, white with brown speckles) that is left out during the day at weekends, sometimes furing the week - this is in the first part of The Wood; I saw this doggie running around with a disposable nappy in its mouth one day...I have no idea who owns this dog but clearly the owner doesn't have control over the dog, the dog's sh*t or anyone else's sh*t! Now, would you let dog another lick you after seeing that!!! Perhaps in this case the owner trusts the dog as they know the dog's mentality, but this activity highlights that the owner should keep their dog under control no matter what mood the dog is in...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

eoin_s wrote:

I would agree that the listed animal could be aggressive due to their "upbringing" environment! But bull terriers are built for attacking. This is why they have one of the most powerful bites and why their front quarter is so muscular. In the terrible occasion of animal attacks on children, you never see "Labrador attacks child" or "lassie gone nuts" in the news... And before the posts come flooding in... If any animal is mistreated, it will naturally be more aggressive. But remember, lots of different breads of dog are (very unfortunately) mistreated. Take a look in a shelter…

Ru wrote:
    I would agree that the listed animal could be aggressive due to their "upbringing" environment! But bull terriers are built for attacking. This is why they have one of the most powerful bites and why their front quarter is so muscular. In the terrible occasion of animal attacks on children, you never see "Labrador attacks child" or "lassie gone nuts" in the news... And before the posts come flooding in... If any animal is mistreated, it will naturally be more aggressive. But remember, lots of different breads of dog are (very unfortunately) mistreated. Take a look in a shelter…

Pit bulls are generally used for fighting etc, not just because they are very strong, but mainly because they have a huge tolerance to pain. They, and Rottweilers, and other much maligned breeds are quite friendly by default (although I would agree that they need a firmer hand than particularly friendly breeds like labs).

Many spaniels and toy breeds are just as prone to snapping at kids. They're not reported on, because it's not a headline. I'd say if you went through that list of breeds, you'd also be hard pressed to find occurences of attacks in the news by a good few of them.
    "lassie gone nuts" in the news

Well - we never found who it was that pushed little Timmy down the well. I think it was Lassie playing a sick and twisted game the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

eoin_s wrote:
    Well - we never found who it was that pushed little Timmy down the well. I think it was Lassie playing a sick and twisted game the whole time.

careful now...... speculation could get you in trouble!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Rotties are gentle dogs but in the hands of irresponsible owners can be a whole different prospect

If if this one is not on a leash or muzzled why not have him removed by the Gardaí or the Council's animal control unit?

That would be a nasty shock for a very negligent owner and would result in hefty fines for the owner and/or destruction of the dog. If it is as scary a dog as you say, why wait for it to attack a child before acting?

To be honest I wasn't sure what to do - if I reported it to the dog warden, would I have to have an address ? Its not that I have ever seen it do anything bar trot after its owner, but it puts the fear of God into all around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't see why you would have to give an address. You're a concerned citizen reporting a loose dog. Just call the Gardaí and let them follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

It baffles me that people let their dogs run about like that, surely people would prefer to keep their dogs safe? If someone complained it might get taken off them and if they don't want that all they have to do is comply with the law!

Between lunatics in cars thinking Charlesland is a racecourse and stray dogs roaming the place is getting scary!!! Kids are not safe out and about by themselves as it is without adding a pack of stray dogs to the equation...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Run DMC

I live on the first road in Charlesland Court and know of a big brown dog from the Wood that comes across the green and sh1ts in our garden aswell as on the green. I know which house it comes from and have tried sending them anonymous letters to ask them to stop, but the dog is still let out to roam on its own. The family have children who play on the green where their own dog sh1ts. Its ridiculous. I'd love to catch the dog on camera and send it to the guards. The only problem is that I don't want any trouble from this family, just for them to be more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

How does it get from someones flower bed being dug up by the neighbourhood dog to spaniels being more dangerous than bull terriers.
    When was the last time anyone saw the local tough guy walking around with a cocker spaniel?
    At the end of the day, given the choice between being attacked by a bull terrier etc or a spaniel....

Mullie wrote: »
    How does it get from someones flower bed being dug up by the neighbourhood dog to spaniels being more dangerous than bull terriers.
    When was the last time anyone saw the local tough guy walking around with a cocker spaniel?
    At the end of the day, given the choice between being attacked by a bull terrier etc or a spaniel....

That's a topic for the Animals & Pet Issues forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

another fresh steaming turd waiting for me in the garden this evening. Someday i'll see the offending mutt, follow him home and make a little delivery of my own to his masters letterbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

Run DMC wrote: »
    I live on the first road in Charlesland Court and know of a big brown dog from the Wood that comes across the green and sh1ts in our garden aswell as on the green. I know which house it comes from and have tried sending them anonymous letters to ask them to stop, but the dog is still let out to roam on its own.

I know the family involved and have been told that someone has been putting dog poo through their letter box which is surely a criminal action of some kind? Surely, instead of writing anonymous letters and resorting to these measures, it would be better to ring their doorbell and talk to them face to face?

I was fostering a dog for a while who used to bark all night and the people from the house behind mine came one evening and politely talked to me about it . The problem was resolved without difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Run DMC

Larbis. If you send a polite letter and the people involved ignore it then having a cosy chat isn't any more likely to work. Some people are just ignorant and don't care about their neighbours. I would hate to live beside these people cause I've seen them just walk through their neighbour's garden and let their dog roam around where ever it wants. No respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

If its that bad and you know its 'definitely' them - call the dog warden &/or liter warden! :)

Yes do that. I think it's hilarious that someone is posting them dog turds. Long may it continue. But ,No! It's not me.

• Advertisement

Bizarilly I came home to two piles today in my backgarden and I am in a 3 bed terraced - how the hell can a dog get in there?!? In saying that there was a freshly decapitated bird's corpse there too so it was probably a cat - I didnt think cats left big piles of poo though!:confused:

Advertisement