Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the DART

Options
  • 25-08-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi, I dont normally use the DART at all as I live in Santry so I don't know the answer to this. You know those doors on the DART that say Emergency Use Only. The ones that let you go from one carriage into another. Do people regularly use them or is it looked upon as wrong. Because if they dont they should be allowed. What if one carriage is packed and the other is empty??? Thanks! Carl

Sorry if this is better suited to transport I just thought only Dubliners would know

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have seen many people use them and not bat an eyelid. sure the conducters themselves use the bloody things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi, I dont normally use the DART at all as I live in Santry so I don't know the answer to this. You know those doors on the DART that say Emergency Use Only. The ones that let you go from one carriage into another. Do people regularly use them or is it looked upon as wrong. Because if they dont they should be allowed. What if one carriage is packed and the other is empty??? Thanks! Carl

Sorry if this is better suited to transport I just thought only Dubliners would know

I think it is frowned upon but I often see the scangers jumping from carriage to carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What if one carriage is packed and the other is empty???
    Then board the empty one.

Use is frownded upon as there is a modest safety risk. Newer designs have open connections between carriages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just change carriage at the next stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Use them all the time. Wasn't even aware it was a safety risk. Not even sure how it could be one tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Thanks everyone, really wanted that cleared up its been annoying me :D Carl

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only use them when train is not in motion

it's annoying if you're sitting near the door and people keep coming and going, especially on the newer cramp inducing darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I use them sometimes, usually when I need to take a whizz.
    I don't use the DART much, and the commuter train carriages seem to have more "usable" passageway's.
    Didn't think they were a safety hazard though.
    Might have to remember that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

By safety hazard, do you mean there's an additional 0.1% chance of falling over?

Use them now and again on the Commuter trains when I get on and the carriage is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Naikon wrote:
    I don't use the DART much, and the commuter train carriages seem to have more "usable" passageway's.

Are there toilets on the DART?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Exit wrote:
    Are there toilets on the DART?

No and if there was then this would never have happened :D
    A COUPLE who had sex in full view of rush-hour commuters on a DART carriage last year have each been sentenced to three months in prison.

Debbie O’Connell, aged 21, and her partner Michael O’Connell, aged 27, yesterday pleaded guilty before Dun Laoghaire District Court to a charge of public indecency on July 5, 2006.

Garda Ciarán Cassidy told the court that the pair had boarded the DART at Sandycove at around 6.15pm that evening and had engaged in “a sexual indecency” before getting off the train at Bray.

Or maybe it would have happened anyway :eek:
    Edit: I know this is old news but it ties in well with the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Naikon wrote:

Dart connections aren't meant to be used in normal operation and definitely not when the train is moving. Commuter and IC trains have normal connections that you can use anytime at all.

Advertisement