Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Wireless Network

• 25-08-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on setting up a wireless network between my computers at home (two dell desktops and a dell laptop, all win xp).

I'm not sure where to start or how to go about it.

Any help on how i should do it or roughly how much it will cost would be a great help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You'll need a wireless router, you should spend no more than €150 on one of of these.

Basically once you have that, you will need wi-fi cards for your computers if they dont have them. These vary in price, depending on whether they are PCI or USB Etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

juror wrote:
    Hi, I'm planning on setting up a wireless network between my computers at home (two dell desktops and a dell laptop, all win xp).

I'm not sure where to start or how to go about it.

Any help on how i should do it or roughly how much it will cost would be a great help.

Thanks

Do a bit of research for yourself on the net. Just google for setting up a wirless network and you will find loads of basic information. You certainly dont need to spend 150 euros on a router - you will get good stuff for below a 100 euros. Are you on dsl wireless or cable- be careful that you get the correct wireless router for the bb you are on. If your laptops are recent they may already have wireless cards built in.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=setting+up+a+wireless+network&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

I have a netopia 3347w wireless broadband router that i got recently when i signed up to bradband with eircom... will this do as the wireless router?
    My laptop already has a wireless card built in and one of my desktops is connected via ethernet to the broadband router

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

juror wrote:
    I have a netopia 3347w wireless broadband router that i got recently when i signed up to bradband with eircom... will this do as the wireless router?
    My laptop already has a wireless card built in and one of my desktops is connected via ethernet to the broadband router

Yes the netopia will do fine. Make sure that the wireless is switched on on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

One of the pc's is connected to the router via ethernet and the other via a wireless adapter ... do i create a lan off the first pc and a wan off the second ... well i've tried doing this but i can't get an connection between them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

juror wrote:
    One of the pc's is connected to the router via ethernet and the other via a wireless adapter ... do i create a lan off the first pc and a wan off the second ... well i've tried doing this but i can't get an connection between them??
    You're setting up a LAN. What way have you tried to connect to the other machine? My Network Places? To make things easier, make sure both machines are in the same workgroup. Additionally, you may need to modify some settings on your firewalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I bought a WRT54G for €10 once and it was perfect. you should be able to get them for 30-40 on ebay

Advertisement