Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time betting advice

Options
  • 25-08-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Is there any way around Singles? Can you bet in more than one branch of the same bookmakers or are they wise to that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

not sure what you mean.

hwever, there is probably no limit to what you can bet on a single. there is a limit on tha amount bookie will pay out per bet - possibly €1m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Thanks ravima.

I want to bet on Big Brother. I want to place a bet on the Twins (4/9) and Brian (2/1).

The PaddyPower site says "Singles Only. Win Only". I understood that to mean that I can't bet on more that one possible winner? I won't be betting through the website as there's a bokkies up the road.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&disp_cat_id=18&ev_class_id=104&ev_type_id=8293&ev_oc_grp_ids=47764&bir_index=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The PaddyPower site says "Singles Only. Win Only". I understood that to mean that I can't bet on more that one possible winner? I won't be betting through the website as there's a bokkies up the road.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&disp_cat_id=18&ev_class_id=104&ev_type_id=8293&ev_oc_grp_ids=47764&bir_index=
    They will allow you to bet on more than one entry in a field. Its called dutching in gambling terms.

Singles just mean you can't combine it with another bet in a double.

If you wnat to make sure you get an equal profit for either outcome. have a look here http://www.betcalc.com/eqprofitcalc.php

Many thanks, Dodge. The calc is very usefull.

I'll let you know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Shop around on prices.

Check out www.oddschecker.com.

Big Brother market is in their "Specials" section. Main thing is that when you decide to go for a bet, that you get it at the best price possible.

• Advertisement

Hi Mezcita. Paddy Powers seems to be only place accepting bets until next Friday,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Thanks ravima.

I want to bet on Big Brother. I want to place a bet on the Twins (4/9) and Brian (2/1).

OK.

You need to realise what those odds represent: probability of winning.

4/9 = 0.444 = (1/(1+0.444)) = 0.694 = 69.4%
    2/1 = 2.000 = (1/(1+2.000)) = 0.333 = 33.3%

Total = 1.027 = 102.7%

There is a 100% chance of somebody winning BB. The above selections represent that the bookmakers believe that between the above 2 selections, they represent a 102.7% chance of winning.

*Flashing Red Light*

It means that, at the current odds, it is impossible to back both "The Twins" and "Brian" and generate a profit regardless of which selection wins.

The Betting Calculator linked above would have shown you that.

If you aim to make a profit, you will have to favour one selection more than the other, and risk a (small) loss should the other win, or a large loss if any other wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Robin1982 wrote:

*Flashing Red Light*

It means that, at the current odds, it is impossible to back both "The Twins" and "Brian" and generate a profit regardless of which selection wins.

What a load of trash. If you used common sense for a second you'd notice that it is easily possible. Say for example he was to put a 9euro on each.
    The return on the twins would be 13euro total, for a net loss of 5. If Brian wins however, the return would be 27total for a net profit of 7euro.
    That should of been glaringly obvious. The only way your statement would hold true woukd be if the odds were equal.
    If the odds weew 100/1 and 1/100 the total would also be over 100%, and the 100/1 defo creates profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Robin1982 wrote:
    it is impossible to back both "The Twins" and "Brian" and generate a profit regardless of which selection wins.
    Mellor wrote:
    What a load of trash. If you used common sense for a second you'd notice that it is easily possible.
    You misunderstood Robin's quote. He's saying that you can't guarantee a profit. What you're referring to is covered in the last sentence in his post.

Crumbs wrote:
    You misunderstood Robin's quote. He's saying that you can't guarantee a profit. What you're referring to is covered in the last sentence in his post.
    Robin1982 wrote:
    it is impossible to back both "The Twins" and "Brian" and generate a profit regardless of which selection wins.
    He said it was impossible to make a profit, regardless of who wins. Which is not true. As I pointed out.
    He never used the word guarantee and besides you can never guarantee a profit (excluding betting when odds have changed.)

His last line means that in order to make a profit a higher stake needs to be placed on one, ie the favoured one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Mellor wrote:
    He said it was impossible to make a profit, regardless of who wins. Which is not true. As I pointed out.
    He didn't use a comma before "regardless".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Mellor wrote:
    The return on the twins would be 13euro total, for a net loss of 5.

Proving you can't back both the twins and brian, and guarantee a profit. What's the problem here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Just remember Big Bro is a novelty market, and anything over 50 euro/pound (should) will be rang over before acceptance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Mellor wrote:

Seems you're a poker player from your location. What he's saying is that betting on both with any combination of stakes is -EV.

All BB bets would be -EV.
    He said its impossible to generate profit. It isn't. If the odds were even for a total percentage value over 1005, it would be impossible.
    Anyway, its a pointless debate. Besides, it would be impossible to guarantee a profit on anybet that is similar to BB/novelty types.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mellor wrote:
    Besides, it would be impossible to guarantee a profit on anybet that is similar to BB/novelty types.

To be honest this couldn't be further from the truth. Betting on BB throws up an absolute shedload of arbing opportunities, for anyone who is willing (or sad enough) to watch the live feed and understands the ramifications of whats happening, there will be countless opportunities to back an event with with the bookies and lay it on Betfair for guaranteed profit.
    There are so many mad twists that the fixed odds bookies are usually hours behind in rectifying their odds.

Advertisement