Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.5 Ferio RS(sohc 3stage vtec)

Options
  • 25-08-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Anybody here have one of these?What do they think of them.Redwood motors Naas Road have one.I,m in Cork so I,m wondering if they,re an OK outfit.By the way if anyone has a mint to very good one for sale please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt reccomend 3stage vtec if its performance your after,there more known for there economy over power and have woefully long gear ratios theres no pull from them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

I,m not after big performance but 130bhp is ok by me.I,m 60 years old-dont act or feel it-have 2 Honda bikes and was used to quick??? Fords.This is my first Quickish Jap car.Bear in mind there are two types of 3stage vtech one of which is biased more towards economy.The civic sr is supposed to provide both,while looking like a standard saloon with a fair degree of comfort.The alternative might be a civic saloon SIR-unmodified.They should be reasonably refined,quiet and comfy?
    Finally again what are Redwood Motors Naas road like?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dealers on the Naas road get a hard time of it, an awful lot of stories going around. Haven't heard of Redwood Motors myself. Have you tried your local dealers or importers or considered importing one yourself via one of the broker websites?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

colm_mcm wrote:
    Dealers on the Naas road get a hard time of it, an awful lot of stories going around.
    I second that one. I would get an independent mechanic to look at any car for sale in that neck of the woods. I have personal experience of looking at cars out there that were very very dodgy. I don't think I saw one car along that road with the real mileage. Every single one of them had been clocked. One particular car I had actually seen go through the Jap auctions as an auction grade 0 with the rear passenger quarter had been smacked. It had 140,000 KMs on the clock too. By the time it ends up in Ireland it's described as perfect with only 48,000 kms on the clock. Miraculous or wha?

With an import I would do it myself(as I did), or go through a broker. That way you get the actual mileage and the auction sheet(which you must get), which you almost never see here, for good reason. Many of the cars you see here are auction grade 0 or R accident damaged, or with high mileage. They go for far far less than a higher grade at auction in Japan. The scope for making big profits is there for dodgy dealers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Thanks you all for the advice.I did consider doing the import myself but naturally I,d like to see the car before laying out my hard earned cash.However surely there are reputable importers in business here?Also I would probably import to Cork.A few years ago I did import a motorcycle from Italy-that worked out fine,but of course being in the EC it was simpler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

might not be exactly what your after but im selling a Honda Civic ESI 1992 1.6 VTEC. Taxed 12/07 and just passed NCT last week. Looking €1900. let me know if your interested and il post a few pictures.:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gally wrote:
    However surely there are reputable importers in business here?
    There are, it's finding them that's the trick. One sure way. Ask them if you get the auction report with the car. If it's a no, keep looking. It means they're either acting on behalf of someone else or they simply never got one and just bought the car site unseen from Malaysian car clearing houses or the Dublin docks or they don't want you to see the real deal on the car. If they're the original importer there is no good reason for them not to have them so it's a sign of something fishy. The fact is that 90% of imports in garages here have been clocked. Simple rule I would have, no auction report, no sale.

PS the oft heard excuse that "ah sure you can't read Japanese" is búll**** frankly. You can tell the mileage and the auction grade even if all you could read were numbers. Makes you wonder why they rarely have them doesn't it?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement