Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 goddamn computers

Options
  • 26-08-2007 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hi i got a laptop the other day and straight away i could wirelessly connect it to my desktop and transfer files or whatever... but today when i tried to do it it just didn't find my desktop and its so annoying because if it could once happen, the memory of it working is just teasing me..

can anyone please help and im totally cracked up at this point/

the desktop is XP and the laptop is vista ultimate and im connecting through a netopia router

please help pleease haha thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure both are in the same workgroup -- probably MSHOME unless you changed it.

Have a look at the router's admin pages to see a list of attached devices. Make sure both are listed. Trying pinging each other also.

Also, try typing the IP address of the other machine in the address bar, like \\192.168.1.1\<share-name>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 csniper

You will have no doubt read all the responses to the tread on networking between peer pc's in a previous tread.

One thing not mentioned in the previous tread is: NAV2003 firewall shipped with some packard bell computers were known to block networking despite being able to ping between the peers. Disabling NAV 2003 was not enough and as a cheap marketing ploy the program was not listed in the add/remove programs list. Solution is the search and download the exe to list NAV in add/remove programs menu from packard bell.

Also make sure to check the ip configuration again with ipconfig/all and make sure you are on the same subnet.

If you are using a hub or switch make sure that if using dhcp that is operational and you are not being assingned APIPA addresses- i not sure but i think that rdp does not work well with 169.254.n.n :)

Advertisement