Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book to give me a good laugh!

Options
  • 26-08-2007 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Recommend a book to give me a good laugh! And I don't mean so bad it's funny :)

my choices are -

Dry - Augusten Burroughs
    Dress your family in Corduroy and Denim - David Sedaris
    Neither here nor there travels in europe - Bill Bryson

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

terry pratchett's discworld is good, try one called 'Interesting Times'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Running with Scissors, Augustin Burrows

The Buddha of Suburbia, Hanif Kureishi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is probably my favourite funny book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I remember The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart being quite chuckle-inducing at the time :)
    Catch 22 as crucifix suggests.
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Anything by Jeremy Clarkson. Even if some are basically a book of old articles he did for a newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

spike milligan for lol off the wall miliganese
    micheal palin for cheerful take on different countries cultures and customs
    cartoons such as calvin and hobbes,dilbert and the far side by gary larsoncan be satisfying and a good laugh/alternative view on society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

oh and pat ingoldsby is a real character
    If you find him or his books he's gas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Catch 22 is a wonderful read.. Never really got into the Discworld series - but I recall having a good chuckle reading Wyrd Sisters, probably because Macbeth was fresh in my mind from the Leaving Cert, I think Pratchett's best work was with Neil Gaiman on Good Omens - now that is one funneh book..

At the risk of being shot down - Stark by Ben Elton.. though not sure it's aged that well from the early 90s..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Philip Nolan - Ryanland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Arthur Matthews - Well Remembered Days

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

A year in the Merde + Vernon Godlittle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Tom Sharpe's Indecent Exposure or Porterhouse Blue both made me laugh a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Catch 22 gets my vote as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Catch 22 would be my recommendation too. Have never laughed so hard reading a book. Biting, dark humour.
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is excellent too. One of my favourite books ever - completely bonkers and hilarious.
    Have you read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy? Truly one of the most intelligent and funny books ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Mc Carthys Bar always found it a good laugh or Dave Gormans Googlewhack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Quentin Crisp - Manners from Heaven: a divine guide to good behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Catch 22, or Hitch Hikers GTTG get my vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Another vote for Dave Gorman - Googlewhack or 'Are you Dave Gorman'. Also, his friend, Danny Wallace 'Join Me' and 'The Yes Man'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

The Grapes of Wrath is an hilarious read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

'Ibid. A novel in footnotes' by Mark Dunn is probably the funniest thing I've read. It's all the footnotes to a "lost manuscript" for the biography of Jonathan Blashette a three-legged circus freak, cum business tycoon. Had me laughing out loud every few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Any of the Sue townsend books

the rise and fall of reginald perrin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The World According to Garp - John Irving (or Irvine)

I second the Hitchhikers Guide, but I would suggest getting the radio series rather than the books. If you like this kind of humour:
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

then give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Everyone seems to be recommending Catch 22. I have read a chapter of it on amazon and felt kind of meh about it, but maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. The next time I'm in a book shop I will grab it.

Like someone else mentioned Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman is quite funny.

I thought Starter for Ten by David Nicholls was good. I think it was made into a movie, if that appeals/turns you off the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Faustus

William S. Burroughs - naked lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

f you are looking for a funny book Catch 22 is the one. it is the most hilarious book ive ever read, i would recommend it to everyone. would also recommend having a read of Kurt Vonnegut too, he has some very funny stuff like breakfast of champions and slaughter house 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Another one i'd rrecommend is One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey. It's hilarious in places, but will have you crying in others. It's stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

A year in the merde is a very funny book about an english guy who moves to france for a year to work, i think it was by Peter Clarkson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Wilt By Tom Sharpe really funny book any everything by Terry Pratchett

Advertisement