Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book to give me a good laugh!

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Personally I don't think The World According to Garp is a "good laugh" book. Sure it has humourous bits but certainly not laugh out loud funny.

Ditto for Vernon God Little, though that's probably me, I got seriously irritated with the main character in that and wanted to give him a slap around the head.

I think the Hitchhiker's Guide is very funny, so are most of Bill Bryson's travel books (I think Here, There and Everywhere and Notes from a Small Island are the best) the Discworld books are good for a laugh too, imo Reaper Man is by far the funniest. I know there are others I thought were funny but I can't think of them at the moment.

Tom Robbin's Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates has some hilarious bits in it, a fair bit of farce but also a level of seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I don't know if you would consider it 'funny' but I think the work of Louis Ferdinand Celine can be extremely funny but in a very black/dark way. If I was to start anywhere I would read 'Death On The Installment Plan'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Matt Beaumont's books are very funny and worth a read. Also another thumbs up for Pratchett, particularly Good Omens, probably the funniest book I've ever read. And naturally, seeing as it's the source of my name, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an absolute must.

Advertisement