Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book ending really disappointed you?

Options
  • 26-08-2007 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

OK boys and girls, try and avoid spoilers where possible, but what book have you read recently where you were really disappointed by the ending?

Every new book to me is like a glorious love affair, you should be devestated when it ends and every book should leave a permanent imprint in your memory.

I have just finished Tenderness of Wolves by Steff Penney, it has been widely acclaimed and recommended to me as a thumper of a good read. And it was certainly a thumper, I was engaged 90% of the way through. For the most part I enjoyed it enormously but was ANGRY :mad: at the author for finishing it prematurely. There were numerous major sub-plots which transpired to my mind to be mere distractions and left lots of unanswered questions. Perhaps a sequel is in the making but by the same token a book should be mindful of the reader's commitment to the story. Have you read anything recently that bitterly disappointed you when you finished it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Haven't read it recently, but the ending to Lord Of The Flies was very very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

The Castle- Franz Kafka :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

stolenwine wrote:
    The Castle- Franz Kafka :D:D:D

Is that because he never finished it? Anyway I was in the Kafka museum in Prague two weeks ago and I bought it so I'm looking forward to reading it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Yes, I was joking. It makes for unsettling, frustrating reading but if your a fan I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I didn't know there was a Kafka museum in Prague!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I thought the ending of The Bible was overrated.

I can't really think of an ending that disappointed me, but I can think of several that left me glum: The Grapes of Wrath; A Hundred Years of Solitude; 1984; The Trial. All these books left me deflated because they were so brilliantly bleak and life un-affirming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks ok I knew it was a continuation but felt gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Anything by Neal Stephenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Up Above The World by Paul Bowles.

It was one of his later works and he built the narrative up to such a crescendo that the ending just seemed to fizzle in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

terrible book overall really to end such a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Miss Fluff wrote:

Every new book to me is like a glorious love affair, you should be devestated when it ends and every book should leave a permanent imprint in your memory

Your lucky, Only one book has had that effect on me and that was 'So they may face the rising sun' by John McGahern.I was utterly dissapointed when I finished it, not because of a bad ending, just because I'd finished it.No other book, maybe apart from enid blytons offerings when I was a lad, has had such an effect on me. I read very little fiction at the moment, and most of the stuff I've read lately is mostly forgotten as soon as I finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Despite it being a good read (I would recommend it) ended up being disappointed.

Didn't live up to the very high expectations it set for itself. It's cleverly structured. It's half a dozen stories, he tells you each of their first halves in order in the first part of the book and then each of their second halves in then in the second half of the book. They are all set in different timeframes from the 19th century to a far distant post apocalyptic future.

The problem is that he sets them to be cleverly interlinked thematically, with constantly recurring motifs. You sort of expect all this to be tied up at the end, but it isn't just left hanging. It reminded me a bit of the Matrix films, introducing lots of clever ideas to get you excited, but then going nowhere with them.

Despite all this a good read, especially the parts as he goes further and further into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fight Club and Diary by Palahnick were both finished terribly imo. They were both good stories, rattling along at a nice pace and I was wondering where they would go and then....he just drops all pretense to originality and turns both stories off. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

The end of Mr Y had a fairly rubbish ending on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The Da Vinci Code. I know, I should have known better, but I've been interested in this stuff since reading The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail in the 80s. Even though the writing was generally ****e throughout the book, I was still hoping for a clever ending. Sadly, the 'revelation' at the end was signposted and obvious. What a waste :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The final Harry Potter , ok I know it’s not up there with the literary greats , but I was hoping for an entertaining ending that had a twist in it instead it just seemed so Hollywood as soon as I got to a certain part I predicted the ending , after seven books it just seemed such a let down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

My sister's keeper. Ugh, what a cop out. I thought it was quite well written up until the end, showing all the moral dilemmas of the situation and then just...like that, everything, doesn't work out perfectly, exactly, but in a way that difficult decisions don't have to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Very slow to get started and it takes time to like but things really kick off and it's brilliantly written, but then the ending... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

me wrote:
    King's the Dark Tower series
    All because of the crappy "I can not think of a real ending" ending.

I'm sorry but taping on a crappy ending, knowing it and telling people two pages to go not to read it as you may be disappointed is total tripe.
    I mean you read 7 (yes SEVEN) books and he says to not read the ending as it may be considered crap.

He even has the nerve to say and i paraphrase "don't go further in this book, as you may not like the ending. instead try to imagine that he gets everything that he wants and lives happily ever after with all his friends"

I'm sorry King but I bought those books so that you could tell me the story.
    If I wanted to imagine the ending why would i bother buying books at all?
    And if i COULD imagine an ending and story, then i would be writing books myself

Also the fact that he ties it in with nearly every other book he has ever written screws them up also, especially The Talisman and The Black House

End rant

taken directly from the Books to Avoid thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The cat who walked through walls - Heinlein
    The kitten may have died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Every Rupert Thomson novel I have ever read, especially Divided Kingdom....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fight Club and Diary by Palahnick were both finished terribly imo. They were both good stories, rattling along at a nice pace and I was wondering where they would go and then....he just drops all pretense to originality and turns both stories off. Very disappointing.

Fight Club is one of the few instances where I have found the film much more enjoyable. I really don't think I would have enjoyed any of the book, had I not seen the film first.

Anyhow, off the top of my head, it's probably American Pyscho for me. It's probably supposed to be open to interpretation, but I'm still not too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

Sandor wrote: »
    Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Very slow to get started and it takes time to like but things really kick off and it's brilliantly written, but then the ending... :(

I know the part you are talking about, and I agree, but I liked the ending as regards Yagherak!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

An awful lot of Stephen Kings books end badly - It is the most memorable!

I couldn't follow The Dark Tower after the 4th book, yawn!

Advertisement