Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR Query for Aritech Alarm

Options
  • 26-08-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of an DIY alarm installation at the moment and the next bit is to put in the PIR. I'll be putting it on zone 4 and the usual 4k7 resistor in series with the circuit.

However, the PIR box diagram shows that a 33ohm resistor is to be placed in series with the circuit also.

I know the Aritech panel needs teh 4k7 resisistor but I can't see the reason for the 33ohm resistor also to be put in series. That would be equal to 4.733k ohms which is hardly much more...

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

You only need to use the resistor if you are using 4 core cable (with 6 core you wouldn't need it). Its called dual end of line wiring - it allows you to use 4 core where you would normally need 6 core.

My advice to you would be to omit the tamper and then 4 core would do the job with no resistor.

Tampers are handy in a commercial installation. One method used by burglars (typically of pubs) was to go into the premises during the day and cut an alarm wire in the hallway on the way to the toilets. When the barman tries to set the alarm that night it wont set cos it thinks a zone is open so he has to leave the premises un-protected for the night. If you have a tamper the alarm will activate when the burglar (customer at this stage) cuts the wire in the hallway so the barman has to get an alarm engineer and the problem is found and solved before closing time.

There's no need for a tamper in a domestic installation in my opinion (unless you think one of your friends is going to rob you).

Life is too short for dual end of line wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

This, by the way is how to, and how not to install an alarm (in my opinion)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055140973

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

it would be my opinion that you would need a tamper circut in a domestic install. anyone could cut the cable, someone posing as a window cleaner or a less then honest trades person you have let into your home to do work.if the cable was cut the panel would show an open zone but that would not stop people inhibbiting the zone and leaving themselves open to intrusion.

Advertisement