Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would like to know your story

Options
  • 26-08-2007 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi my name is Sharon,

I was adopted by 2 wonderful people in Dublin, Ireland 24 years ago.

My parents imigrated to Sydney, Australia 21 years ago.

I love my parents dearly but have always had a curiosity about my birth parents.

I would love to hear from anyone you has found there birth parents.

Thanks you

Sharon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to Boards!
    We recently implemented a central adoption contact preference register in Ireland- where adopted people and birth parents (and other members of extended families) can register their details and advise of what their current status is and whether they would like to contact their birthparents (or children) and if so to what extent they would like contact (i.e. in writing/by phone/in person etc).

A very good first step for you to do would be to write to the Irish Adoption Authority with a copy of their application form all details of which are available here.

It would also be very helpful to you to contact the agency who originally organised your adoption requesting Non-identifying information and advising them that you would like contact with your birthparent(s) (if you so wish). There is quite a backlog in most of the agencies, so do be prepared for a bit of a delay (but the adoption authority have copies of most of their files- so they would be a good second port of call if you have difficulties with the agency).

Asking for non-identifying information will normally give you a little form with a brief introduction to your birthparents- giving you their age, personal circumstances, whether they had siblings and from what general part of the country they were from (not a lot more). It may have some medical information (though this is unusual). It is nice to have even this little bit of information though!

Very best wishes,

Shane

Advertisement