Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic walks

Options
  • 26-08-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Now that the weather has picked up I'm trying to do lots of walking. I really like nice scenic walks but I need some new ones as I don't even take any notice half the time of the ones I've been doing for years.

I'm based in the city and would drive 45mns-1hr for somewhere nice.

Here are my suggestions, any more?
    Ballycotton Cliffs
    Inchadonney
    Garrettstown Beaches & Cliffs
    Roberts Cove
    Farran Woods
    Currabinnny Woods

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Kinsale - scilly walk from the Spaniard to The Bullman along the waters edge. Another one from Charles Fort going east along the water.
    Rochestown - Mahon walk along to Blackrock Castle.
    Fountainstown - go up the path on the left (near the shop). Keep going along the cliffs to Pol Gorm, go up steps and back along the road. Can keep going to Myrtleville if tide is out and return via road.
    Galtees - past michelstown. well signposted mountain track.
    .. much more that i can't remember!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

The Walkway from Carrigaline to Crosshaven is beautiful - a nice flat walk along a pathway, but along the river front, so it's very picturesque. You park in the car park on the Carrigaline/Crosshaven Road - and it's a few miles to/from.

Another nice walk is to drive to White Bay (past Whitegate) and park your car in the car park - and walk along the road to Roches Point Light House - and back. It isn't a very long walk but the views are fantastic - all across the entrance to Cork Harbour.

Cobh - There is a lovely walk along the waterfront in Cobh too - start behind the Heritage Centre and follow the path, then go across over-head bridge and you end up back on roadway, then you can continue along various roads.

There is a small woodlands on the Great Island too (near Cobh) called Marlogue Woods.

Killeagh Woods (outskirts of Killeagh) on the road to Youghal.

OK - that should keep you plodding along for a while - enjoy!!! J

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Wow thanks guys that is great.

One point though, I parked my car in the Crosshaven carpark of the Old railway Line walk to Carrigaline a couple of years ago and my car was broken into. The window was smashed and some stuff taken. The Guards said that it was a problem and they thought there was a gang doing it. I don't know if that problem has been sorted out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Heard about that a few a years ago, at the time I was living in the area and parked my car there every couple of days and did the walk, never a problem. Haven't heard anything about problems for a while now. Maybe you'd feel safer parking in Crosshaven Village Car Park or somewhere near the Glen/RCYC and walk from that side to Carrigaline. Much more activity, so the "baddies" wouldn't dare break into cars in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

Try Doneraile Park. Its about a Hour drive from the city. You could spend the whole day there walking. The longest walk around the whole 160 hectares takes about 1 and a half hours. Parking is safe and free, entry in is free, kids play park is great and you can also bring your dog. I even say a lady walking a cat on a lead there once!!!!

Here is a link: http://www.ballyhouracountry.com/destinations/21-doneraile/experiences/28-doneraile-park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Try Doneraile Park. Its about a Hour drive from the city. You could spend the whole day there walking. The longest walk around the whole 160 hectares takes about 1 and a half hours. Parking is safe and free, entry in is free, kids play park is great and you can also bring your dog. I even say a lady walking a cat on a lead there once!!!!

Here is a link: http://www.ballyhouracountry.com/destinations/21-doneraile/experiences/28-doneraile-park

Lovely place, has a great deer farm too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ohh you should take a trip to the Gearagh just outside Macroom. Beautifull spot in all weather http://www.local-photos.com/photo_album/gearagh/Photo%20No_1400.html this site has some pictures of it..

Just before you get to Macroom turn left and travel straight along that road for about 5 - 10 mins and there is a parking area on the left hand side....

Geocaching is another great way to find nice scenic walks and trails http://www.geocachingireland.com/ and its something fun to do

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I found some great walks/trails on the Discover Ireland website. Kind of more off path than the other walks and longer but really nice for a fine day

eg http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/knocknaclugga-loop/74113
    Bit of a drive but I enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Fantastic place. I make a point of always taking the dog there now when I go home if the weather is nice, it's beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Weavers Point walk just up passed crosshaven town (near church bay) looks out over roches point, really nice on saturdays when you can see the Pont Avon coming back in through roches point!
    Currabinny is really nice and also ringaskiddy down where the boats dock? You can park in the car park and there is a huge really nice long walk around down there. plenty of rabbits :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement