Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Alex about the plan to give the CL spot to FA Cup winners

• 26-08-2007 11:42am

from skysports.com

Sir Alex Ferguson has slammed Uefa's idea to reward the FA Cup winners with a place in the UEFA Champions League.

Uefa president Michel Platini is hoping the chance to win a place in Europe's premier club competition will reignite the domestic cup competitions.

However, Ferguson is very much opposed to the proposal and will put his feelings across to his fellow managers at a meeting in Geneva next month.

"I just don't agree with it because you can win the FA Cup playing nobody," the Manchester United chief told the Sunday Mirror.

"The only two teams Chelsea beat to win the cup last season were Blackburn and ourselves, while a few years ago we played Millwall in the final. With all due respect to Millwall, that didn't warrant a place in the Champions League.

"I think the idea is totally ridiculous."

I know there was a thread about the idea already, and the general consensus was that its rare that a top 4 team doesnt win iit but I think the CL should be based on league position alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so what happnes then if the Winner of the FA cup wins the league? Does that mean the runner up in the FA Cup gets the CL spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wow, I agree with Alex Ferguson :eek: Or does Alex Ferguson agree with me?

Yea i figured some people would be astonished to say they don't DISAGREE with Fergie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The only two teams Chelsea beat to win the cup last season were Blackburn and ourselves

Fergie already writing off today's opponents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I prseume he's worried that 4th pace is the best they'll manager this season! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I agree with Fergie. :eek: The shock of it all.

mike65 wrote:
    I prseume he's worried that 4th pace is the best they'll manager this season! :)

Mike.
    It wouldnt come in till next season anyway, so no to that. And when u consider that his lowest ever finish since the premiership began in 1992 is 3rd thats a funny thing to say after 3 games!!! :rolleyes::):)

typo corrected !!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Absolutely retarded. The champions league is supposed to consist of teams who excelled in their respective domestic leagues and are consequently rewarded with positions in the CHAMPIONS league. Leave well enough alone, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neil1984 the Prem began in 1992 not 1993. Tis amazing the lack of humour and knowledge the average Utd fan displays. ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Neil1984 the Prem began in 1992 not 1993. Tis amazing the lack of humour and knowledge the average Utd fan displays. ;)

Mike.
    My bad, typo. Thats an extra year to emphasise my poitn so ;) Talk about lack of knowledge? u think league position after 3 games matters?!!! :D Tis amazing the bitterness the average............ah doesnt matter. Points made. Back on topic, I agree that the CL spots should be exclusively on league position since the winners of the leagues were the original entrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is this thread just a platform for your silly rant, there was already another thread on it.

Old Whiskey Nose is just filling column inches before a hugely important game.

zabbo wrote:
    Is this thread just a platform for your silly rant, there was already another thread on it.

Old Whiskey Nose is just filling column inches before a hugely important game.
    What rant? Ive said all im gonna say, n anything i said was responses??? What r u talking about?

I dunno, I think what he's talking about is relevent, it has nothing to do with the Spurs game (except that he ignored the fact that Chelski played Spurs last year!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

*slap*
    Get a hold of yourself man you'ren rambling like a madman!

In fairness though if you could get a CL spot from the FA cup teams like Milwall certainly wouldn't be reaching the final. That being said its still s stupid idea as most fans still like winning domestic cups, nothing better than a (good!) final.

*slap*
    Get a hold of yourself man you'ren rambling like a madman!

In fairness though if you could get a CL spot from the FA cup teams like Milwall certainly wouldn't be reaching the final. That being said its still s stupid idea as most fans still like winning domestic cups, nothing better than a (good!) final.
    Milwall played Sheffield United in the semi that year.......SU were a Championship team at the time as well. It COULD happen........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

All the big clubs said the same thing when Plantini mentioned this first. I'd say they'll just disagree with everything he comes up with now as it's not the first idea he has had rejected. None of the big clubs are going to agree to something that might cost them a place in the champions league. And the premier league wont want to upset them in anyway as usual.

All the big clubs said the same thing when Plantini mentioned this first. I'd say they'll just disagree with everything he comes up with now as it's not the first idea he has had rejected. None of the big clubs are going to agree to something that might cost them a place in the champions league. And the premier league wont want to upset them in anyway as usual.
    But regardless of the politics of money and the bigger clubs agenda, i dont think its the best idea to be honest. I see where theyre comin from by trying to up the value of the domestic cups but in all fairness, UEFA had the Champions League (European Cup) for league results, Cup Winners cup for the cup winners and the UEFA Cup for teams who finished lower in the league. Then they dropped the CWC so that they can have more competition in the UEFA Cup. This would devalue the UEFA Cup 9even more than it is) in the process would it not? They even have the CL back door into the UEFA cup now. I think keep it as it is. If a club cant finish 4th in its league then it doesnt deserve to be in the CL just on the basis that theyre good at cup ties??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah yes, the "Champion's League". The name would suggest the teams in it's league are all champions, not "Champions and Runners Up and 4th Placed Teams" league.
    It still amazes me how a team that haven't won anything and aren't Champions of anything get to play in this thing called a Champion's League.

Maybe if they awarded places to winners of the FA & League cups the big dogs would take these competitions more seriously, but I doubt the G14 lads would ever allow such a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Savman wrote:
    Ah yes, the "Champion's League". The name would suggest the teams in it's league are all champions, not "Champions and Runners Up and 4th Placed Teams" league.
    It still amazes me how a team that haven't won anything and aren't Champions of anything get to play in this thing called a Champion's League.

Maybe if they awarded places to winners of the FA & League cups the big dogs would take these competitions more seriously, but I doubt the G14 lads would ever allow such a move.

In fairness, the name is an arguement in semantics. The name "Champions League" is an attempt to glam up the European cup. It's designed to be more than a competition for the respective league winners, but a competitioon to showcase the best teams in Europe. It's harder to win nowadays because of the fact that its not just league winners.In the old days of the European cup, when it was open draw like the FA cup the competition can easily go one of two ways. either the top teams draw each other early and the tournament becomes about which of the smaller teams can kick their way to winning it over the other with a final between two teams that no one outside their respective countries has any interest in watching. Or one top team gets a handyinsh run to the final while the others knock each other out.

The current format is great and most years produces a final that people from all across Europe want to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stekelly wrote:
    The current format is great and most years produces a final that people from all across Europe want to watch.
    I'm not disputing the quality of the competition itself, but the fact is most of the teams playing in the Champions League are not champions. Marketing or not, I've never quite understood that.

Advertisement