Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to start training for marathon?

• 26-08-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on running the october dublin city marathon. I have never done a 10K race before, let alone a marathon and I am planning on starting training today. Sounds like I'm leaving it incredibly late.
    Should I think twice? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

KJF wrote:
    Hi, I'm planning on running the october dublin city marathon. I have never done a 10K race before, let alone a marathon and I am planning on starting training today. Sounds like I'm leaving it incredibly late.
    Should I think twice? Any advice?

KJF, I'd seriously consider thinking thrice, never mind twice - the minimum training programmes consist of 16 or 20 week schedules....trying to get to marathon condition in 8 weeks from scratch would be nigh on impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Noone is saying you have to run non-stop. You could jog it and take regular walking breaks.

Belfast is more than 6 months away so maybe that's a good goal for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

why have you left it so late?

Yes it is too late to train properly for a marathon. Not training properly can lead to a rough day on the race day, injury, several days of painful bits afterwards and prehaps even long term damage to your joints by pushing them so hard.

Having said that, it can be done. Read up on the hardship you might face and the damage you might do and then if you still want to then go do it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are you doing any training at all at the moment? You'd be hard pressed training even for a half marathon at this stage. I know people going for 20 mile runs at the moment as part of their marathon preparation. A 2 mile run is hard if you're starting from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Hi guys, the reason I left it so late is that I didn't know about it. A pal of mine is running it and asked if I would be interested so I thought why not.

I swim 3K every week and have been for the past 2 years so I am no stranger to training but I am well aware running (especially over this distance) is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I went out today to a local running track to see how I would get on with a short distance and ran 8K in 45mins. I stopped after I felt the muscle in my thigh start to stiffen up and didn't want to push it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

No way dude way too late you'll cause yourself an injury swimming and running are completely drifferent you need miles in your legs a lot of miles,a marathon is very tough on the body and you need to be prepared.
    As one of the other posters said maybe aim for the belfast marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

I agree with the other posters in that it probably is too late to start training for the marathon (holistically anyway). If you are really serious about it you should make it the number 1 priority in your life for the next couple of months. Even then it could be a dodgy endevour. But I am one who advocates such endevours. If you really believe that you can run a marathon on such training, try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have to agree with everyone, however as MM and HM say it is possible, I have read of people who have done it with little or no training they usually vomit at least once during the course and it will HURT ALOT, but with saying that if you feel you can do it try it. Even if you don't complete it you will have tried it, just try to do it safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I did dublin 2004 with 8 weeks training. It's a really bad idea. You won't enjoy the actual day one bit, and you will be sore for at least a week. It will probably put you off running in the long term. As someone said earlier your probably better off training for London or Belfast, or leave it will next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I did my first marathon with very little training, about 3 weeks.

At that time I was about 2 stone heavier than I am now and hadn't trained (running wise) for about 2 years. I was playing a bit of football and gym work.

I use to train heavily (for track/ short road races) before my 2 year break from running so I had experience of pace etc. I got around the course as I ran very steadily. I enjoyed the day and felt like a legend when I finished (under 3.40 by the way). I was in a jock for a week after it though and in hindsight I was lucky not to do myself serious injury.

I wouldn't recommend trying it but if you do best of luck. I think the advice given by others should be heeded though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement