Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manual versus automatic car?

Options
  • 26-08-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

The obvious difference is the control on a car in bad weather.I hear.

As a kid I over heard the stick was better mechanically – is this still true.

Im thinking of an Octavia circa 2004 for city use - is it unwise to go automatic or would it be silly not to?

Never driven one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Personally automatics should be reserved for the likes of Merc's and Lexus's, for a drivers car manual will always be better.

A common thing with auto's people have them in ''D'' stopped in traffic when they should be in ''N'' this is like holding a manual car in 1st at a brow of a hill!

Hope this helps!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For city traffic auto is unbeatable...just so relaxed.

"Racing" round the twisties can be frustrating with the wrong auto box / low powered engine as you're never quite in the right gear ..so don't "race"

As for dimished control ...there are scenarios on slippery roads / in snow where you might wish you had a clutch, but they are very rare and on their own no reason not to get an automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have owned and driven automatics for the last six years or so. At this stage I would not buy a manual car because I don't see the point of changing gears in Dublin city driving. Ideally it would be nice to have a 3 or 4 litre engine along with the auto gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Volvoboy wrote:
    A common thing with auto's people have them in ''D'' stopped in traffic when they should be in ''N'' this is like holding a manual car in 1st at a brow of a hill!
    With the greatest of respect, this is rubbish.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - bear in mind that an auto will generally be more expensive to buy and use about 10% more fuel than a manual equivalent.

Volvoboy wrote:
    Changing fron drive to neutral causes unnecessary wear on the gearbox and defeats the purpose of having an auto in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brillo_pad

i have only driven manuals myself but anybody i know that has driven an auto refuses to go back to a manual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have driven an automatic for the past 2 years, very relaxing to drive, have not come accross a situation where I would have been better with a manual car.

Some of the CVT transmissions would be as economical if not more so than a manual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whilst an automatic might be fine for city traffic or motorway cruising, I personally find them an exercise in frustration everywhere else, always changing up a gear at inappropriate moments and then having to change back down a second or two later. Maybe if you can afford a car with either a dual mode manual/automatic tiptronic style gearbox, or a pure auto with bags of power and torque it may be OK, but personally I'd rather save the money and change gears myself. I've driven plenty of auto rental cars and can't wait to get out of them and back into a manual car myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most automatic gearboxes on sale at the moment have a manual change or tiptronic function, if you want to hold a gear or change down coming into a roundabout etc. I drive mine in tiptronic mode 50% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I certainly wont be going back to manual if I can help it.

As for being in the righ tgear, once you get used to the particular car you can make it go up and down through the gear when you want, you just have to know how to use the accelerator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I've a VW DSG auto and find it great for city driving. I always slip it into N from D while waiting at lights as I don't like having to hold my foot on the brake, I find it much more comfortable to have it on N with the handbreak on but an earlier poster said this could wear out the box - is this true?

Thomas wrote:
    I've a VW DSG auto and find it great for city driving. I always slip it into N from D while waiting at lights as I don't like having to hold my foot on the brake, I find it much more comfortable to have it on N with the handbreak on but an earlier poster said this could wear out the box - is this true?
    Your foot should be on the brake anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anan1 wrote:
    Your foot should be on the brake anyway.
    If he has it in N and the handbrake on, then why on earth should he? How is that situation any different to a car with a manual gearbox?

I always put mine in "P" at the lights.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have just changed from a manual to an auto and I will never change back it is a pure pleasure and if I want to get more involved I can use the triptronic but never do as the auto box on my Z4 is class always dieing to be driven harder.

Wife drove it today for the first time and now would like an auto

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm on my 3rd Auto now (currently a 1.9TDI Passat) and would never go back to a manual. As others have said, once you've had the car a while you learn the way (and when) it changes gears and can adapt your driving style accordingly.

I leave mine in D all the time, except at lights when I put it in N with the footbrake (or handbrake if I'll be a few minutes) on. I only use P if I'm actually parking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Kaiser2000 wrote:

I leave mine in D all the time, except at lights when I put it in N with the footbrake (or handbrake if I'll be a few minutes) on. I only use P if I'm actually parking it up.

This is what i ment say, or type, not every time you stop but when waiting for railroads and lights.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Blah, I don't see what all the hype of auto's is. I've driven various automatics before, and I'd still take a manual over an auto. But that's just me. I guess I just like the 'feel' of a good ol' fashioned manual.

Automatics are for lazy people in my opinion. I love manual gear boxes, so much more involving.

Alun wrote:
    If he has it in N and the handbrake on, then why on earth should he? How is that situation any different to a car with a manual gearbox?
    If he gets rear-ended then he and his car will be thrown forward far more violently than would be the case with the footbrake applied.

• Advertisement

are you saying people with manual cars should keep their foot on the brake too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Automatics are for lazy people in my opinion. I love manual gear boxes, so much more involving.

I dont like being "involved" in clutching 60 or 70 times getting just to go in and out of 1st gear on my way to work.

colm_mcm wrote:
    are you saying people with manual cars should keep their foot on the brake too?
    Depends how you feel about whiplash, I suppose.:)

Stekelly wrote:
    I dont like being "involved" in clutching 60 or 70 times getting just to go in and out of 1st gear on my way to work.

Hmm, I've gotten to the point I don't notice myself using the clutch and shifting gears anymore. Handy too.

I've heard the anti power steering, ABS and air conditioning arguments, the anti auto argument isn't as clear cut.
    Once you drive a good automatic for a few days it's easier to defend them. the problem is, most people haven't driven one long enough to know just how handy they are.
    On the other hand, if I was to rag a car down a quiet road, I'd love a manual, but overall I reckon the advantages of an automatic outweigh the slight blunting of performance or control.

The thing about the 'slight blunting of performance or control' is that they can generally be made up for by a bigger engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had Auto's in the USA but never liked them. Couldnt wait to get home to the manuals. I personally dont see changing gear as major work. In traffic I usually let 2-3 car lengths grow ahead of me then I pull off and try and keep coasting instead of stop start stop start.

To be fair, a lot of American cars are dire.

I think it is a case of each to their own.

Unless I become physically disabled that I can't drive a manual, I will never buy an automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Driven autos too. Not a great fan to be honest. I feel like im driving a bus. Much prefer the direct drive.

Advertisement