Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manual versus automatic car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Noooooooooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Volvoboy wrote:
    Personally automatics should be reserved for the likes of Merc's and Lexus's, for a drivers car manual will always be better.

A common thing with auto's people have them in ''D'' stopped in traffic when they should be in ''N'' this is like holding a manual car in 1st at a brow of a hill!

Hope this helps!

-VB-

:D Total Rubbish! both points! very funny volvoboy!

point one : :D utter *hite!

point two :
    autos are designed to be in D when stopped in traffic... also the newer autos have fuel saving mechanisms( forget the name of the thing) that when in D stopped saves fuel , compared to older autos..

i changed from manual to auto... recently. the best move i made. the difference in fuel economy is not really noticable.

much more relaxing drive the auto is; coupled with cruise control.. makes for relaxing motorway crusing at the push of a button ,

i recently drove a manual for a short journey after driving auto for 4 months..
    and the manual, was total yuck!:D couldnt wait to get back into the auto.

auto is more relaxing, and if you want the feel of a manual drive you have tiptronic +/- either.. with the auto you get the more precise gear change,

go auto!

one other point, my '07 2.0 auto motor, is not that much harder on petrol than an '07 1.4 corolla saloon! believe it or not.

i know a person with the corolla and was recently having a look at the mpg computer on the corolla; the corolla was showing around 7.5L /100km (37.6mpg approx) for the average driving that was being done on it.

my 2.0 auto normally reads around 7.9L/100km ( 35mpg)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Max_Damage wrote:
    I think it is a case of each to their own.

Unless I become physically disabled that I can't drive a manual, I will never buy an automatic.

You saying that physically disabled can only drive a automatic? Guess you have never hear of a servo clutch :D a combination of the pleasures of an auto in heavy traffic and a manual when hauling ass on back roads :D

But nowadays just buy a tiptronic or similar for the best combination of it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You saying that physically disabled can only drive a automatic?

No, I guess I should have said it better, I was refering to someone with sort of a knee/leg problem that would make using a clutch pedal a difficulty.
    But nowadays just buy a tiptronic or similar for the best combination of it all :)

I still prefer an old fashioned H-pattern Manual with a clutch pedal. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

love the auto, would never go back to manual, always leave it in D at the lights as I'd believe constantly shifting to N would cause damage to the torque converter.

Tiptronic I've used for fun in overtaking on single lane roads rather than the kickdown (that way you can go down a couple of gears) as for the motorway, cruise is the only way to go.

Bigger engine is good (I've a 3.2) but a mate of mine drives an 06 octavia auto diesel and it's a damn fine car and very very torquey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Max_Damage wrote:
    I think it is a case of each to their own.

Unless I become physically disabled that I can't drive a manual, I will never buy an automatic.

Not even an M5?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

learned to drive in a manual, passed my test in a manual, own a manual... but i'd rather an automatic :)

i don't want to make work for myself when a machine can do it for me.. that's exactly why the internet is a success - because machines do the work the brain/people used to do.

granted, you need a brain to drive an automatic but it's just much less stress for example holding a car on a hill, waiting to get out onto a busy junction...

clutch, brake, handbrake, accelerator, release handbrake, declutch, repeat x number of times.. :rolleyes:

call me lazy, but i don't like creating work for myself when there's no need for it. Driving isn't a leisure activity, it's frustrating in Ireland 90% of the time. A manual adds to that stress...

it's also far more difficult to learn to drive a manual than automatic.. if we all drove automatics, there'd be no stalling at lights or junctions and no burnt out clutches or gearboxes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Max_Damage wrote:
    No, I guess I should have said it better, I was refering to someone with sort of a knee/leg problem that would make using a clutch pedal a difficulty.

I still prefer an old fashioned H-pattern Manual with a clutch pedal. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist! :D

LOL just kiddin ya (im working on breaking down the stero type that disabled drivers drive only automatics) :D .....many people could use the servo clutch system actually. It acts very like a automatic in heavy traffic. no need to use left foot at all during traffic. when on the road use it to do all the clutch work literally at the touch of a button whilst driving it like a manual. if you want to go all the way press another button and the car is 100% manual :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OP - bear in mind that an auto will generally be more expensive to buy...
    True.
    ...and use about 10% more fuel than a manual equivalent.
    Not necessarily. My 5-speed auto is as fuel-efficient (when I drive it fuel-efficiently) as anything of a comparable size I've ever driven - more so than many.
    Alun wrote:
    Whilst an automatic might be fine for city traffic or motorway cruising, I personally find them an exercise in frustration everywhere else, always changing up a gear at inappropriate moments and then having to change back down a second or two later.
    I've only ever been in an auto once that did that, and I wasn't driving - I reckon it's entirely down to faffing around with the throttle. I honestly can't remember ever thinking the Saab was in the wrong gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Brillo_pad wrote:
    i have only driven manuals myself but anybody i know that has driven an auto refuses to go back to a manual
    Yes, I'm on my first automatic and I won't go back. I have a Skoda Superb 130 hp diesel auto. I need to change (nearly 90,000 km), and I would happily get the same again but they don't make it any more, so I will probably go for an Octavia diesel 140 bhp with the VW group DSG automatic box (the Superb is coming late next year with the same combination, but too late for me because I do about 40,000 km a year).

With a powerful engine like mine, an automatic will do anything a manual can do but much more effortlessly. I have a Tiptronic option but hardly ever use it, except for fun if I am bored on a long journey.

• Advertisement

Changing gears is hardly a chore now is it? I dont find it stressfull in the least. Barely notice myself going through the gears anymore. Holding a car on a hill with a manual isn't hard either! I will never buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The fuel economy and performance gap has been narrowed considerably in the last 10 years, modern 6 or 7 speed autos are very close to manuals on both criteria and in the real world will better a poorly driven manual.

There is more choice now than just manual or automatic with a number of different types of alternative transmissions becoming more widely available.

The dual-clutch type (such as the VW DSG box) seems to be the one with most potential particularly for larger engines and performance cars. I haven't had the chance to drive one yet but they have been getting good reviews.

CVT is popular in Japan especially in small cars but it has not taken off here at all, mainly I think down to bad press and people not liking the slushy feel of them. I drove a CVT Micra a few years back and it seemed to be okay to drive, not much different to a regular auto really and by all accounts they should give better fuel economy and performance.

Less said about automated manuals the better IMO. I have driven a number of them and didn't like them at all. They were all jerky and slow to change gears, seemed to me to be a perfect emulation of a learner driver struggling with the box and clutch. I have read that some of the newer designs are much better but I am a bit skeptical. Thankfully they seem to be going out of fashion now in high-end cars with the dual-clutch taking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

colm_mcm wrote:
    most automatic gearboxes on sale at the moment have a manual change or tiptronic function, if you want to hold a gear or change down coming into a roundabout etc. I drive mine in tiptronic mode 50% of the time

isnt it a pity that theres such a crap selection of auto diesel cars available?
    without going bmw, volvo or merc.?

i hear that honda are doing an auto diesel in 08/09

fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

what_car wrote:
    i hear that honda are doing an auto diesel in 08/09
    I've seen that advertised a good while ago. Is it not available yet?

Auto ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

John R wrote:

The dual-clutch type (such as the VW DSG box) seems to be the one with most potential particularly for larger engines and performance cars. I haven't had the chance to drive one yet but they have been getting good reviews.

VW say that the DSG Auto box is more fuel efficient than the corresponding manual in the GTi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Just handed the keys back this morning of a 2.0 diesel multitronic A6 that ive had since Wednesday (put 850km up on her) and can safely say ive been well and truly converted to the auto brigade.

S mode is also great craic for the manual traditionalists.

Dreading the prospect of my clutch later on now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I drive a 2lt automatic car. Have to say great for city driving even if slightly harder on juice . Someone mentioned bad weather ..there's a traction control button on mine anyway which reduces power to rear wheels . If the auto gearbox is in the wrong gear.. the sport button soon fixes that.

One of the only drawbacks with an auto is that you will neveer be able to push start it when it gets old and the battery gives up!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dak wrote:
    I drive a 2lt automatic car. Have to say great for city driving even if slightly harder on juice . Someone mentioned bad weather ..there's a traction control button on mine anyway which reduces power to rear wheels . If the auto gearbox is in the wrong gear.. the sport button soon fixes that.
    Sounds suspiciously similar to my 9-3. :) I rarely need the sport button, the pickup with the foot to the floor and a 2- (or sometimes 3-) gear kickdown is awesome.

Edit: the "traction control" button is labeled "Winter" on mine, and it doesn't so much reduce power as simply disables first and second gear. Works a treat for driving on a beach.
    dak wrote:
    One of the only drawbacks with an auto is that you will neveer be able to push start it when it gets old and the battery gives up!
    That's what jumpleads are for.

macshadow wrote:
    Not even an M5?:D

I'd rather go for the American-spec. M5 which can be got with a proper manual. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alun wrote:
    I personally find them an exercise in frustration everywhere else, always changing up a gear at inappropriate moments and then having to change back down a second or two later... ........ I've driven plenty of auto rental cars and can't wait to get out of them and back into a manual car myself.
    I've never felt that my auto was in the wrong gear (it's a 3 litre). Perhaps your experience of autos is limited to small emgines which don't do them justice?
    Automatics are for lazy people in my opinion
    That's a bit like saying electric windows, servo assisted brakes, central locking, traction control, ABS etc. are all for lazy people!

Some models are not available in manual and many manual exectutive cars would have a poor resale value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

I prefer the feel of a clutch and a gearbox personally

just having stop and go pedals just further dilutes the driving experience imo (though I dont commute in one, or spend too much time clutching in traffic as mentioned, so I can see where folk are coming from)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I drive auto's, Volvo S40 1.9T and a Mazda 6. I love driving both. I've never felt like there in the wrong gear or anything like that. The Volvo has a Sports transmission setting which makes it drop back in gears faster, very fun to drive. The Mazda has a triptronic but I never use it.

When I go back to Ireland I always rent a manual though, simply because it's cheaper and I do enjoy the change for a while. I had a Mondeo last time, fun enough to drive but felt a bit underpowered. I was happy to get back in my own cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

worded wrote:
    The obvious difference is the control on a car in bad weather.I hear.

As a kid I over heard the stick was better mechanically – is this still true.

Im thinking of an Octavia circa 2004 for city use - is it unwise to go automatic or would it be silly not to?

Never driven one.

For a Skoda, an auto-box is lunacy. To have a good, comfy auto, you'd need 2.5 V6 + to get a decent drive.

I've a 4.0 V8 Lexus auto, its grand, has the power to not have to change down/up in mid-drive. Anything too small, and you'll get surging and painful acceleration.

LEAVE THE DAMN THING IN D AT LIGHTS!!! SHIFTING TO N ONLY WEARS THE BOX!!!!! ARGGHHHH!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maoleary wrote:
    For a Skoda, an auto-box is lunacy. To have a good, comfy auto, you'd need 2.5 V6 + to get a decent drive.
    I dunno. Something like a BMW 320d is far nicer in auto than manual too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Anan1 wrote:
    I dunno. Something like a BMW 320d is far nicer in auto than manual too.

diesels to have more torque than petrols, good point. The OP didn't specify what engine, perhaps a diesel in auto would be fine. Would be doubtful about petrols below 2.5 with autos in a body as big as an octavia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

maoleary wrote:
    what rubbish. 10k in the 105bhp and DSG box tells me that it's superlative. What's wrong is whatever you drove didn't have enough torque - nothing to do with engine size or fuel type.

Know 2 x people with auto Skoda's: 1 x DSG, 1 x Tiptronic. Both are converts. Oh, and both get 48mpg as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting to note that nearly all owners of automatics here love them and won't go back to manual. I'll add myself to that group having owned large saloons with V8 petrol engines and autoboxes for nearly 7 years now. I rarely use the steptronic mode tbh...

For smaller engined cars, the combination of a modern diesel with autobox seems ideal. Millions of European taxi drivers keep telling Toyota they want an Avensis diesel auto, but Toyota doesn't seem to be interested
    what_car wrote:
    isnt it a pity that theres such a crap selection of auto diesel cars available?
    without going bmw, volvo or merc.?

Or cars from the VAG group (VW / Skoda / Audi / Seat) as several happy owners have reported on this thread ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anan1 wrote:
    If he gets rear-ended then he and his car will be thrown forward far more violently than would be the case with the footbrake applied.
    Are you one of those drivers that sears my eyeballs with 1000 watts of red light when parked in front of me at lights - regardless of how long you know you are going to be there? Thanks for that.

Re Autos - got one this year. Love it. End of story.

While we are on the topic of autos, I have a few questions to ask about them:

1. When stopped at the lights, does putting on the handbrake (with your foot removed from the brake pedal) and leaving it in 'Drive' do any damage to the 'box?

2. On standard autos (without Tiptronic or any of that), does shifting between 'Drive' to '2' and 'L' or '1' while the vehicle is in motion do any damage to the 'box?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

joolsveer wrote:
    At this stage I would not buy a manual car because I don't see the point of changing gears in Dublin city driving.

The 'point' of changing gears is that the car is cheaper and fuel economy is better.

Advertisement