Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shutting down problem

• 26-08-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

My pc wouldnt work at all, after 2 hours I managed to fix the problem but the pc wont shut down. I click shut down in Windows xp, blue screen appears Windows shutting down please wait. My pcs makes the noise of being turned off but this screen keeps saying shutting down even 5mins later...I havent waited any longer. The Fans still stay on.

Anyone any ideas?

A misplaced jumper on the motherboard is what Im thinking but dont know which one or even if thats the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'll move this to the Windows forum as it is more likely a software problem though hardware could be the cause too.

There are a variety of causes and solutions some of which are described at the link below
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

From 8T8's link I would offer this as the most likely cause/solution. Had this with my Dad's computer too:

Newsgroup correspondent “Sarah” provided one specific solution for this. In Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, stop the Nvidia Driver Helper service. (You can also get this by launching SERVICES.MSC from a Run box.) Many other newsgroup participants quickly confirmed that this solved this “extremely slow shutdown” problem for them (it’s the most successful solution for this problem to date). According to correspondent Gan Ming Teik, downloading and installing the new version 23.11 Nvidia driver also solves this problem.

It could also be an issue with unsigned device drivers. Have you got Windows fully updated from Windows Update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It makes a noise like its turning off but stays on the screen? Thats odd.. sounds almost like the hard disk is turning off but the OS is staying in memory and so staying on the screen.

What was wrong with your PC? What did you do to fix it?
    Have you tried shutting down in safe mode? How about VGA mode to rule out video drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

The pc wouldnt load up Windows intially. Ya makes the sound of shutting down but stays on the screen. I could try re-installing windows and see if that works?

Ill try out what soundman said and see if that works.

Soundman I went into that section but had everything but the Nvidia help thing. My graphics card is Radeon but didnt even have anything in the list about Radeon. There was plug and play but thats automatic. What do u think?

• Advertisement

Was just a chance that it was Nvidia. I'm thinking it's something besides the graphics then. I'm trying to remember what else I have done on other computers to resolve this issue.

Have you installed anything recently or changed any settings that may have created this problem?

Go to Windows Update and see if there are any updates to be installed too.

Does it ever say "It is now safe to turn off your computer"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is it patched up to date ?
    there have been a few patches to fix shutdown issues

restart in safemode - should be ok then

was it trying to install updates ?

us msconfig so there is less crap starting up on the next boot

How do i restart in safe mode? Pc restarts fine. No it doesnt say its now safe to shut down and doesnt try to install updates. Ive no internet on this pc so i cant go on the net to install updates.

Advertisement