Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Developer I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Sorry to jump on the orignal poster's topic but I was considering doing something similar, however I already hold an Hons e-Business Degree,level 8 award, finished a couple of months back, and am thinking of doing a FAS course like this.

I notice that FAS have a Software Developer traineeship program type thing aswell, level 5 award, would these be considered better than a course?

Whilst on the the Topic, you get some form of payment for such a course, something like €185, right? Could one get a job on top of this, or apply for jobseekers? Unlikely I know regarding jobseekers but thought I might ask.

Continue answering the orignal poster but any info for me would be appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I started in FÁS as did other regulars on this forum and I can't praise them enough. They don't just teach you programming but they teach you practical programming and give you a good work ethic while they're at it.

In fact I was talking to an I.T. Manager over the weekend and he said he'll only hire FÁS trainees (that's networking stuff now) and won't take graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I replied to the OP's original thread on the Work/Jobs forum (I actually suggested starting the thread here), and my reply was as follows:
    My own personal opinion is that it is too short to be of any use. Yes, it covers the basics, but in how much detail? I lecture on a number of computer courses and while the subjects are similar, they are spread over a number of years, therefore cover the subjects in much more detail. Also, I would question what qualifications you get at the end of the course and how highly regarded they are in the industry - there's no indication on that website.

I would like to point out that I am not engagaing in any kind of snobbery towards FAS courses, given the fact I work part-time in an Institute of Technology, and in fact I am delighted Evil Phil had such high praise for FAS courses. My only concern is that the course is so short and might not go into enough detail and might not give a worthwhile qualification.

I would of course love to be proved wrong. :)

Does anybody know what qualification is accredited. I see the traineeships are level 5 but cannot find info about courses. On a side note one course I was looking at was "day contracted only", what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

While the course is short and mightn't cover as broad a range of topics as a diploma or degree, FÁS do stay in touch with employers, potential employers and gear their courses towards their needs and the needs of the marketplace. It will probably be expected that you continue your studies once you've been given a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Given that I have a Comp Sci degree specifically dedicated to programming and software dev, i can say that the degrees sometimes go too deep into the theory rather than the practical knowlegde and ideas.

Being very honest, a programmer is partly a mindset and partly a flair for it, if you have a decent problem solving ability and the mind to change how you do things often and adapt you can become a programmer.

Having seen some of the grads that come out, I cant understand how they ever managed to get through pratical programming exams...

As for job prospects, there are quite a few entry level jobs out there. Just depends on what language/tech you do

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sor10

thanks for the info, i think the course is fairly advanced, goes up to macros in html i think, i say ill give the course a shot:)

Sor 10,

Good luck with it ;)

Lets us know how u get on

Advertisement