Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University South Africa

Options
  • 26-08-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, i was thinking finishing my degree through distance learning and i have looked at the OU UK but found that it is very expensive. I decided to look elsewhere and came across the Open Uni South Africa. I have heard from others that it is a well recognised and accredited institution.

The reason i'm looking into this uni is because even as an international student the fees are much cheaper than the OU UK.

So would anyone have any information, good or bad, about this uni?
    And do you think a degree gained from here will be well recieved in Ireland and possibly the rest of europe?

Any advice is welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I presume you mean Unisa? (www.unisa.ac.za)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 etoile

BuffyBot wrote:
    I presume you mean Unisa? (www.unisa.ac.za)

yep thats the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think the best people to make some informal enquiries with would be

Qualifications Recognition Ireland
    National Qualifications Authority of Ireland
    5th Floor Jervis House
    Jervis Street
    Dublin 1

Tel: +353 1 887 1500
    Fax: +353 1 887 1595
    EMail: info@qualificationsrecognition.ie

They're responsible for "grading" non-EU graduates when they come to seek recognition in Ireland to work or study. I'm pretty sure they would have an idea as to how South African degrees are regarded in terms of the Irish qualifications framework. It might give you a benchmark to work with.

Of course, they can't tell you how employers will rate it in Ireland or Abroad. One thing to consider too (and the importance of this will vary, depending on your chosen subject) is how relevant will the content be to your academic interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 etoile

ok, thanks for the info! I'll try sending them an email.

Advertisement