Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concrete mix for posts

Options
  • 26-08-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

replacing and existing panel fence and yesterday dug out the holes and erected the posts with a concrete mix. i asked advice about the mix of a few friends and relatives. some told me 8parts gravel ti 1part cement, others told me to just lash loads of cement into the mix with gravel, the more the better.
    i decided to go with roughly 7/8 parts gravel to one part cement with a few small bolders thrown down into the mix and all compacted in. checked the post this morning and all seem solid enough. was i right in the mix i used and is it of benefit to wrap the posts in dpm before putting them into the concrete or could this cause them to loosen over time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's six to one .

But ,I think the more cement you use the quicker it sets. If it sets too quickly it can crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

replacing and existing panel fence and yesterday dug out the holes and erected the posts with a concrete mix. i asked advice about the mix of a few friends and relatives. some told me 8parts gravel ti 1part cement, others told me to just lash loads of cement into the mix with gravel, the more the better.
    i decided to go with roughly 7/8 parts gravel to one part cement with a few small bolders thrown down into the mix and all compacted in. checked the post this morning and all seem solid enough. was i right in the mix i used and is it of benefit to wrap the posts in dpm before putting them into the concrete or could this cause them to loosen over time
    7 or 8 to one is fine: just keep the surface of the concrete moist/wet for a few days to help the curing

I dont see how the dpm will cause a problem: i presume the posts are pressure treated timber?

Advertisement