Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Corps Cadetship

• 26-08-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Lads (and Gals), I've been thinking bout applying for a cadetship in the air corps for the last couple of years and considering applying next year so was looking for a bit of advice/information/ any comments. I know its very difficult to get in (258 applications for 10 cadetships in 2006) so would it be avisable to get more than a little flying experience under your belt before applying or maybe joining the permanent reserve/civil defense to have something to show by application time next march? I'm fit enough but should I go all out training for the next 8 months or so?

Also, if you were more than lucky and managed to get in by some act of God but it turned out you absolutely hated it (it happens), is there anyway you could leave after a few years or are you in for 12 and thats it? How long could you expect to stay at 2nd leui if you work hard and usually do things well? (i.e. could you realistically expect to make captain in 5/6 years?) and also in the department's doc on pay scales and that it mentions class C officers, class A, etc (http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Document+ID/ECED65584861BA7680256C7E00421C7E?editDocument) does anyone know what that's about?

Thanks a million!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Join reserves or get practising with the gaelige. As far as I know there's a few percent extra on your interview score if you've been actively in the reserves for a year or more or if you do an additional short interview to check your fluency in Irish, but you'll only get the bonus for one or the other.

I doubt spending a load of money on flying now would be much help to you to be honest. Better off researching planes, learning about different types, planes the AC have etc so you can show your interest and have stuff to talk about at interview.

Check up competency-based interviews. Find out what competencies are expected by AC and make sure you have good examples to show you've got each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Surely that would be Gaeilge...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Sin an fáth nach bhfuil daoine ag iarraidh gaeilge a labhairt go minic....tá daoine ar nós tusa ann a phiocann poll ann! Botún bheag a rinne mé, céard faoi Ravelleman? Ar léann tusa trí gach phost a dhéanann tú roimh é a fhágáil? Ar dhéanann tú ceartúcháin ar daoine as béarla freisin? Ní cheapaim go ndéanann. Cad as thú....tír álain suas do chuid tóin féin?

Ná bac leis na ceartúcháin arís le do thoil. Is fearr é a labhairt agus a scríobh ná é a caitheadh amach, nach gceapann tú. Ach tabhair cabhair do Grizzly_Smurf má tá aon rud cabhrúil le rá agat? Níl aon áit anseo do dhaoine a bhfuil ag iarraidh bheith cliste amháin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

dame wrote:
    Sin an fáth nach bhfuil daoine ag iarraidh gaeilge a labhairt go minic....tá daoine ar nós tusa ann a phiocann poll ann! Botún bheag a rinne mé, céard faoi Ravelleman? Ar léann tusa trí gach phost a dhéanann tú roimh é a fhágáil? Ar dhéanann tú ceartúcháin ar daoine as béarla freisin? Ní cheapaim go ndéanann. Cad as thú....tír álain suas do chuid tóin féin?

Ná bac leis na ceartúcháin arís le do thoil. Is fearr é a labhairt agus a scríobh ná é a caitheadh amach, nach gceapann tú. Ach tabhair cabhair do Grizzly_Smurf má tá aon rud cabhrúil le rá agat? Níl aon áit anseo do dhaoine a bhfuil ag iarraidh bheith cliste amháin.

dont know what your saying but i bet is making Ravelleman look like a tool! :D

also i think i think grads get 10% bonus too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

dame wrote:

I think this is the first post as Gaeilge in the Forum. Well done Dame.

However I do think your're over reacting just a tad. Ravelleman appears to have been defending our National language by pointing out that it merits a capital letter. You're both singing off the same page on that one I think. Let's all just play nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

air corps only took in 4 this year. know all the roles of air corps aircraft, know what aircraft equipment does and how it works.aptitude tests involves alot of physics and maths type stuff so get a hold on all that sort of thing. cadet comp wont open until next feb so you have plenty of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ox

Get a hold of an Officer there already and have a chat. The interview is "Competency Based" - basically, in the Application Booklet (ring the Defence Forces Competitions Section to get one, even this year's one will do) there is a list of competencies you must display to be successful. Have a number of examples (3 at least) of times you have displayed these competencies, and be able to rhyme them off. Get a few mock interviews, the more the better. There are examples of the aptitude tests on the military.ie website, get a book of similar tests (try Easons) and practice them. Entry to the Defence Forces is very formulaic so it preparation and practice, not individual brillance, that will see you through.

Advertisement