Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Writing a Horrific Christmas Song: Need Help

• 26-08-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to write Christmas song called "Mary Should Have Had An Abortion".

Things worth confessing up front: I can't sing (indeed I can't even hold a note) or play any musical instrument, or read sheet music.

I'm trying to write this song because I'm sick of some specific aspects of Christmas: how Christmas seems to be sneaking into October in the supermarkets, how it seems everyone is expected to pretend to be happy in what can feel like the most depressing time of the year (just ask volunteers on suicide hotlines, Christmas can be hell for some poor folk), sick of how the Christmas toy culture can drive parents into debt to buy their kids the latest toys. And also generally the Catholic Church's treatment of child abuse victims.

But ultimately I'm sick of how people who dislike Christmas (such as myself) are treated as grouches or angst teens and cannot believe people are blind to the toll it can take on people's lives every year.

(Additionally I've no interest in releasing it or making money from it; probably as well what with having no musical talent whatsoever, :) )

I've already gotten a general chorus to the song written, though the rest is sort of slow coming:

Dear God
    Is it justified;
    Dear God
    is it murder?
    Dear God
    could this song get any absurder?

And to make sure people will talk about it I'm trying to put in a reference to at least one scene in The Life of Brian, as well as a scene where the Star of the North turns out to be a wire coat hanger.

Anyone want to give me some imput? I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good idea, but I love Christmas and what it stands for whether it be religous or social matters.

My plan is to write a song about how school shooters are ****ed up retards, and not people who possess superior intellect or survival techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

My plan is to write a song about how school shooters are ****ed up retards, and not people who possess superior intellect or survival techniques.

I dunno. I know countless ****ed up retards (to use your turn of phrase), some of them from the US and although they never shot up schools they were by and large paranoid survivalists or anti-social intellectuals.

Some of them said they empathised with the the shooters and more than the families of the victims, and they weren't just tossing in flamebait to a public forum either, they meant it.

Advertisement