Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roscrea to Birr Road - 50 km/hr section??

Options
  • 26-08-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Does anybody know why there is a stretch of road a few miles outside Roscrea on the way to Birr which has a limit of 50 km/hr? Defies logic if you ask me. Good stretch of road, albeit with some turns but I can't for the live of me see why its 50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I think its just a stretch where they have or are planning to do some roadworks. So its just a temporary speedlimit.

These roadworks limits are annoying me though. They have them weeks/months before and after the actual roadworks and we are expected to respect the limit all that time, but no one does. If they just had them when there was actual roadworks being done, people might respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

^^^ what he said.

Actually they've started resurfacing the road between Roscrea and Templemore (the only stretch with a hard shoulder!) and have a 50km/h limit there, but the signs were up just a couple of days beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It BeeMee wrote:
    ^^^ what he said.
    Agreed.

I've been coming around to the belief lately that this sort of thing has a big bearing on Irish motorists' somewhat lax attitude to 'the rules' in general and signposts in particular.
    For example, I know a 5 miles section of secondary road that I drive on a semi-regular basis, once a month or so. There are 10 or 12 orange 'road works' type signs in either direction on it, but there haven't actually been any 'works' going on there for at least 6 months. The job is long since finished, but the signs remain.
    The country is full of such silliness: 'temporary' speed limit signs installed for a works project that mysteriously remain after the work is done, solid white lines slapped down the middle of perfectly good straight sections of road in a knee jerk reaction to freak/once-off crashes, sometimes indeed followed by dashed lines going around corners, 'dangerous bend/corner' and similar type warning signs that don't appear to bear much relationship to the actual road ahead which isn't any more bendy or 'sharp cornered' than the section of road before the sign is encountered, the list goes on.

I think Irish drivers learn over the years to drive 'the road' as it appears before them, as experience has shown them that more than a little of the signage out there doesn't appear to have any rational basis in common sense and isn't to be trusted 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Sent an e-mail to the relevant county council and complain and copy the road safety authority – I wrote to Galway County Council the following…

“I assume the special limit was introduced to facilitate the pipe laying on the N17 – but while driving on the road in recent weeks to only work I saw in progress was in the centre of Milltown.

While I agree that the safety of workers is of paramount importance and cannot be overlooked, I feel the poorly managed traffic plan just undermines the very protection that a more sensible management of speed limits would achieve.

Again, on the many times I have driven this section of the N17 I would say that NO car or truck was keeping to the 50 kph limit that was posted. Perhaps a review of the traffic management of this area should be undertaken as soon as possible.”

Within days I got a letter back and the limit was removed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Cappo wrote:
    Sent an e-mail to the relevant county council and complain and copy the road safety authority – I wrote to Galway County Council the following…

Within days I got a letter back and the limit was removed :o

*GRABS CHEST TO EASE PAIN* of oncoming heart attack. you actually got a reply to an email you sent to Galway Co. Council?

*must rest must rest*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Altreab wrote:
    *GRABS CHEST TO EASE PAIN* of oncoming heart attack. you actually got a reply to an email you sent to Galway Co. Council?

*must rest must rest*

Yep! but I think it was the rap on the knuckels they got from the Road Safety Authority that did it!

Got a letter from the RSA outlineing there concern :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wow, I can't believe you got a positive response.

/writes letter to Wicklow Co. Council. "Dear Wicklow county council. There's a little road called the N11...".

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Cappo wrote:
    Yep! but I think it was the rap on the knuckels they got from the Road Safety Authority that did it!

Got a letter from the RSA outlineing there concern :o

Claps your back ...fair dues to you for taking that action :)

*makes note to self .....get letter of concern from RSA before writing to Galway Co. Council about road safety*

Advertisement