Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage BMW Diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Do a bit of research about the model.

When I was looking for a BMW diesel, mileage wasnt my concern, it was more so condition. Those engines are good for 300k.

That aside, I'd only have a 04 320d as the turbo was changed late 03 (October ish) and the older design turbos have a habit of killing engines. I'd also consider a 02/03 that had the turbo changed to the new design.

So all in all, dont let mileage bother you - it's all about condition with these cars. My 530d Sport has 87k on the clock and looks like its done baout 7k.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That mileage shouldn't be an issue (like with almost any car) if it has been properly serviced. It was probably a rep-mobile and ate up the motorway miles!
    Watch out for water inside what with recent floods!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Wishbone bushings seem to be an issue with the 3 series diesels, maybe just on smaller (read crap) irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thats not high mileage at all for that car, as previously said it should easily do 300k plus ... and at least you know it hasnt been clocked.

Also it looks in extremely good condition , the seat bolster hasnt even been worn down or cracked to reflect the mileage so i would guess it's all motorway miles rather than stop&go which will have a more adverse effect on the car as a whole.

Give me a UK driven 100k 320d over any Irish 60k equivalent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

ì've had a couple of 3 series and as macnab says there are known issues with the control arms and bushes on all variants of the E46 3 series.They generally wear after 60k muiles. So with a car of that mileage i'd lay odds that the front end is a little sloppy. Its not too expensive to put right. Easier replace the whole control arm than trying to replace each of the bushes.Other than taht the engine and gearbox are virtually indestructable on these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Those used diesels give black exhaust smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Those used diesels give black exhaust smoke.

Wtf does that mean :) .....
    Used diesels give black smoke ? .. that could be a number of things, faulty MAF, Blocked air filter etc.

Accelerating hard on any diesel will give you a decent amount of smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

commited wrote:
    Do a bit of research about the model.

When I was looking for a BMW diesel, mileage wasnt my concern, it was more so condition. Those engines are good for 300k.

That aside, I'd only have a 04 320d as the turbo was changed late 03 (October ish) and the older design turbos have a habit of killing engines. I'd also consider a 02/03 that had the turbo changed to the new design.

From what I remember, I think it was the first iterations of the new 150 bhp engine that caused problems. The older 136bhp engine shouldn't have the same problem, but doesn't sound particularly refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

eoin_s wrote:
    From what I remember, I think it was the first iterations of the new 150 bhp engine that caused problems. The older 136bhp engine shouldn't have the same problem, but doesn't sound particularly refined.

The 'dodgy' turbo issue in the 150BHP models was sorted in November/October 2003. So OP you'd want to check when exactly this car was made (There'll be a stamp with month/year on the passenger strut)

That car look's safe. Just remember to change your crank-case breather filter every 2nd oil change (If there's a FSH check that this was done)

These car's seem to generally need a MAF change in their lifetime. Not a big deal, about €200 for a Bosch one and easy DIY, defo didn't put me off buying one.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

eoin_s wrote:
    The 150bhp engine was introduced early 02 (i think - might have been very late 01), so what I say still applies to this car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Cheers for the advice. I've no idea what a MAF is, but I'm sure I'll learn if I go ahead with it. Probably not that particular car as I've seen better value elsewhere, but possibly/probably the same model.

There are a few on carzone.ie but they all seem to be english imports without VRT having being paid, and they all seem to have a healthy profit for however is importing them.

Stky10 wrote:
    Cheers for the advice. I've no idea what a MAF is, but I'm sure I'll learn if I go ahead with it. Probably not that particular car as I've seen better value elsewhere, but possibly/probably the same model.

There are a few on carzone.ie but they all seem to be english imports without VRT having being paid, and they all seem to have a healthy profit for however is importing them.

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor, just after yer air filter, check's the amount of air going into yer engine, I think?! I don't think it checks the temp of the air because on the 320d there's an air temp sensor between the inlet manifold and the intercooler.

If you want to avoid buying someone elses import and giving them a profit, go and import yourself and save giving yer hard earned dosh to someone else... I did and never looked back since, just make sure you do your research

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

JohnCleary wrote:
    just make sure you do your research

Do you mean on the model in general, or on the actual car (HPI etc), or both?.

Stky10 wrote:
    Do you mean on the model in general, or on the actual car (HPI etc), or both?.

Both, get as much info as you can, don't be scabby about paying for a HPI, it'll either give you (some) peace of mind or show up something

Advertisement