Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom reason for lack of BB in my area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ah, yes.right. Getting to be a gloomy place this. I hate cattle fencer noise.

I had an old 1980s transeiver that could impressively blank it but none of my modern gear does. Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click ....
    Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click ....
    Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click .... Click ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mabro

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Then they are compliant according to Comreg. One way to get a proper unsplit pair is to order ISDN ...and when the speed jumps cancel the order :p

All absolutely correct save for one thing. The UK has a proper regulator called Ofcom. We have a weasel milking farm instead .

Eircom sucks! I am 600 metres from my new house and I have broadband here but won't have it in new house. Eircom would not entertain my complaint. EXTREMELY rude. I work from home, I could loose my job. I 'm based in Bantry near the town and exchange, it's crazy. Is it woth ordering ISDN to get a proper line for DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mabro wrote: »
    Is it woth ordering ISDN to get a proper line for DSL?

Only you can answer that, I'm afraid! There's anecdotal evidence that it works, but there are also some cases where it didn't work, and your €100+ down. If DSL is important to you (work, etc.) then that's nothing. If you just want it for casual surfing, then that's quite a bit.

Is the 600 metres further from the exchange than your house, or closer? Do the next-door neighbours of the new house have DSL?

HI,

Thanks for the reply. My new house is closer to the exchange. My neighbours do not have DSL either and they have also been told by Eircom that there is no hope of it.

I'll try the ISDN request route I suppose. Although I am looking at mobile boradband through the edge network. Any thoughts on that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

beats 12k eircom dialup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mabro wrote: »
    Although I am looking at mobile boradband through the edge network. Any thoughts on that?

If it's EDGE, I'm guessing o2 (have no experience of Meteor)? If so, then I find it works well in that it's reasonably consistent in rural areas. There are times where the o2 connection drops off the face of the planet for a minute or 4 (or until you reconnect), but it's my backup net access and my on-the-road access and is usually fine for browsing,email, and some remote admin. Gaming/VoIP and heavy remote admin are out because of latency/QoS.

Thanks SpongeBob. It's just sickening to think how backwards this poxy country's infrastructure is.

:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Suzy1730 wrote: »
    Hey SpongeBob I get about that on dial I think.. maybe 32 from what I can remember. I just think that as a comsumer if the problem is down to the quality of their lines then they should be forced to correct it! BT are upgrading all their lines at present and practiacally all post-codes have a date the lines will be updated. If a customer in the UK has DACS and requests Broadband, BT have to go out & install a new line at not extra cost to the consumer.

While this is an old thread I can tell you for a fact that this is not always correct, if BT discover a DACS box affecting an end users line and its within the customers premises then they will remove it within a matter of days...however

If a customers has a DACS box and BT send it to planning and its found that it costs lets say £20K to remove it and it'll only end up suppling Broadband to lets say a hand full of customers then BT will not complete the work and no ISP in their right mind will fork out the money need to cover such an insane cost as they'd never make it back

BT don't have to go out and install a new line, BT just have to make decisions that are financially sound :)

Additionally, even if BT do do the required work to remove a DACS box from an end users line this can delay the end users order by weeks, months and even years and they's nothing BT Retail/Wholesale, other ISP's or OFCOM can really do about it as it'll be done when its done, currently the longest delayed order due to a DACS box I've seen is around 24months.

So while DSL rollout within the UK is better then Ireland its not all roses just the same :)

Advertisement