Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

value of this DC5 Honda??

Options
  • 26-08-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Lads,

how much is this worth here around ? I think its a 2003 model, japanese.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

legs11 wrote:
    Lads,

how much is this worth here around ? I think its a 2003 model, japanese.
    I was looking at the value of a DC5, They are very hard to shift in ireland are cheap in japan but remember to add aprox 7k vrt etc.Why whats the cost in japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd guess around €22k to €23k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Not sure, think its less than 9k euros.

not surprised they are hard to shift here, shur they cost a bomb and why would someone pay 23 grand or more on a 4 year old HONDA when they could buy a BMW with a mtech pack etc.......?!:D

Honda all the way for me.......but I would imagine a car like this would be a thieves dream in our rosy land?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Early twenties, all right, but if the VRT is 7K, you'll pay nearly that anyway to bring it in based on a 9K Japanese price.

They're a lovely car, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Making very early 20's in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

For an 03 youd be looking at 23/26k

01's are making 20/21,theres gotta be a depreciation drop on them at some stage and i wouldnt like to buy before then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

legs11 wrote:
    why would someone pay 23 grand or more on a 4 year old HONDA when they could buy a BMW with a mtech pack etc.......?!:D
    because, as a performance car, the Honda is infinitely better than a BMW with an M pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Of course it would outgun a bmw. which is why I will buy one...

the DC5 is a very fine car indeed, a 03 is very expensive here, Its a special car, the type r's and they will not drop in price much, in the uk they are expensive also.

I sat into one in 2002 at the melbourne motor show and wanted once ever since.

lets face it, unless you are loaded its the nearest you are going to get to owning a supercar:D

now, lets not bring the NSX into the equation here....... they stopped making them which is a shame, going to make the last models pretty much gold dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A friend of mine who imports cars for a living (So i'd believe him) says the DC2's handle much better. The car was written off 2 day's later (Not by him, by someone upgrading from a DC2) so tbh i'd be inclined to agree (Eventhough I know nothing about Honda's)

Ask on RacersHaven or driver.ie plenty of DC5 owners there

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't like them, they look too tall and narrow. just like the (now old) Civic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Any Honda ive ever driven ive loved, well except a 04 civic hatchback, but proper Hondas i've loved, there just last saturday i borrowed the mothers partners car '03 2.4 Accord 6 speed box and i had more fun in it than my das S500!

If god was ever to build a engine it would be a V Tec!!!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

JohnCleary wrote:
    A friend of mine who imports cars for a living (So i'd believe him) says the DC2's handle much better. The car was written off 2 day's later (Not by him, by someone upgrading from a DC2) so tbh i'd be inclined to agree (Eventhough I know nothing about Honda's)

Ask on RacersHaven or driver.ie plenty of DC5 owners there
    A few guys on driver.ie have owned both and rate the DC5 better than the DC2, despite common belief to the contrary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO They're two very different distinct beasts. The DC5 feels more solid and with more torque. Not as rattley as the DC2. It's very chuckable too, with plenty of grip. It's also a more modern car compared to the DC2 and feels it. They're a nice car, if a bit expensive still.

That said, the DC2 has far more feel, especially on the limit. The suspension setup isn't as much of a compromise as in the DC5(unequal length wishbones compared to mcpherson struts) and the handling on the limit is much more predictable in the DC2. It feels lighter and has more driver involvement. That's reflected in lap times between the two cars. While the DC5 should haul away with ease from the smaller engined DC2, it doesn't. Not by a long shot.

They're both great cars from a great company though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I had planned on buying a DC5 but in the end went for a late DC2.Wibbs summed it up fairly well there.

The DC5 feels alot more refined to drive even in vtec it just doesnt feel as agressive altho its quick none the less.Torque can be felt for a change in a honda in the DC5 too!

But in the end the sheer rawness of the DC2 is what made me buy it,its probably the most uncomfortable,noisey,stiff car iv'e owned but its all part of the package,id go and drive both a good bit before parting with your cash.

In terms of looks i prefare the DC5 and would love to have a proper drive of one on track too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Having owned a dc2 and driven a dc5 once on track briefly in the uk i would say the dc5 was my preferred car price being no object.

People blab on about the dc2 having more feel and being more raw, for me this translated to rattly (specifically the drivers window) and noisier at high revs. It certainly wasnt faster round a track than the dc5.

Id wait for a coupe of years when 02 dc5's will drop down to around 15-16k. Much better value when they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cpoh1 wrote:
    Having owned a dc2 and driven a dc5 once on track briefly in the uk i would say the dc5 was my preferred car price being no object.
    You would need to drive both for a while to see the diff. It would also boil down to an individuals preference in driving style.
    People blab on about the dc2 having more feel and being more raw, for me this translated to rattly (specifically the drivers window) and noisier at high revs.
    If that's what stood out for you then I would suggest that you're missing the point by a country mile. An Ariel atom or a caterham is going to be very noisy and rattly, so are you saying it's got less feel?. Eh that would be a no then. The noise has precious little to do with driver "feel". In any case the rattly drivers window is down to a part coming loose in the window runner(hence the drivers being the one more likely to suffer from the problem). Easily fixed. I've run both cars for an extended period and while the DC5 was the more civilised and modern car, indeed easier to live with in some ways because of that(torque and soundproofing), it lacked that certain something when compared to a DC2. Hence I imported a DC2 in the end. Saved a packet as well between the two. That said I would go to a DC5 after the DC2 blew up as it was a far better car than the later breadvan civic type R which is pretty gutless compared to either of them.
    It certainly wasnt faster round a track than the dc5.
    Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQwHKNGDbE&mode=related&search=
    And there are more youtube and other vids and you can check out and in each one the DC5 ends up the loser on the track by a safe margin. Most magazine testers found the same. Given the DC5 has got a more powerful higher displacement engine, what does that tell you? The DC2 is by far the better, lighter, more controllable chassis. For a start the DC5 R version appeared at the same time as the main product line of the DC5. It was as much a well engineered styling and marketing exercise. While the DC2 was similar it had a far longer evolution. One of the reasons that it's a good bet to avoid the earlier DC5 R's like the plague as they had to fiddle a bit to overcome the early one's weakness. Ideal version? The DC5 K20 engine in the DC2 chassis. That would be sweet and blow a standard DC5 into the weeds.
    Id wait for a coupe of years when 02 dc5's will drop down to around 15-16k. Much better value when they do.
    That much I would agree on. They're far too over priced at the moment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I get it wibbs you like your dc2 and are pretty protective about it, hence your biased reply.

I loved my dc2, had it on at least 4 track days I can recall in the uk and had a blast with it. The only difference I noticed when I drove the dc5 was that it didnt make as much noise as my dc2, if that constitutes feel in your eyes fair enough. On track I found the dc5 just as responsive and sharp on the limit and every bit as fast as my dc2 on track.

cpoh1 wrote:
    I get it wibbs you like your dc2 and are pretty protective about it, hence your biased reply.
    Honestly not really. After all it's just a car(ducks head :D ). It does what it does. Like all cars it's a compromise. I just felt the DC5 was more of a compromise. Though the pair of them are head and shoulders above other R's in the past range(NSX not withstanding). The breadvan civic R I found to be utterly useless with bugger all feel at all. The R ing up of the chassis was a real exerciss in jamming a square peg itno a round hole. The gearbox was it's only saving grace. I hope the new Civic R redresses the balance.
    I loved my dc2, had it on at least 4 track days I can recall in the uk and had a blast with it.
    They're great cars for that. Both of them. They give some more expensive sporty cars a serious run for their money.
    The only difference I noticed when I drove the dc5 was that it didnt make as much noise as my dc2, if that constitutes feel in your eyes fair enough.
    Not at all, that was my exact point. The noise has sweet FA to do with it. It's how the chassis communicates the road to the driver. The DC2 was/is better in that respect. On a daily basis I would say the DC5 R is the easier version to live with. It was one of the big temptations of the model for me. That and the generally more modern feel. I prefered the gearbox too. The ratios were better, especially between 2nd - 3rd.
    On track I found the dc5 just as responsive and sharp on the limit and every bit as fast as my dc2 on track.
    The steering is woolier for a start in the DC5. The car also feels more like it's fighting itself and the driver on the limit. The chassis is amazing in one way. It feels more like a rear wheel drive which is impressive. The older model just felt more communicative than the newer. More pointable and predictable at the limit. I'd much rather the older chassis going round a roundabout in the wet that's for sure(personal experience there. Scaaaarrry).

The serious difference in costs is an issue obviously(at least for me). If they were in the same price range the choice would be harder. I would say as a track day car the DC2 would be the better choice. You can make it handle even better with non standard parts. That's a lot harder to do with the DC5. As a daily driver all things being equal the DC5 is probably the better bet from a comfort standpoint if nothing else. Parts supply may be an issue though as the model never made it to europe in any form. That was a concern for me. The DC2 for me isn't my daily driver so that's less of an issue and as I said if and when it blows up I would likely go for the DC5. Then again they're both Hondas so blow ups are few and far between. Alfas they aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

eireal wrote:
    For an 03 youd be looking at 23/26k

01's are making 20/21,theres gotta be a depreciation drop on them at some stage and i wouldnt like to buy before then

Agreed. Was looking at one but I doubt you'll see a price drop until the newer model comes out. Your better off importing your own and doing it up tbh, you'd save a fortune.
    Volvoboy wrote:
    Any Honda ive ever driven ive loved, well except a 04 civic hatchback

We don't speak of the 02-05 fiasco. Horrible horrible design (sorry anyone who bought one).

@Biro, if you had 4k at hand to modify a car and a choice of both cars what would you take?

• Advertisement

@ cpoh1 did you own a uk or Jdm DC2?

eireal wrote:
    @ cpoh1 did you own a uk or Jdm DC2?

I had a 96jdm eireal but with prelude calipers to match the 98 spec brakes, standard apart from that!

As the DC2 was around for longer and there's more knocking about the tuning stuff seems more available. From what I've gathered you do have to spend big money to get useful gains given both cars are in a high state of tune to start with. The usual slappin on an exhaust and air filter doesn't give much in the way of gains. Suspension and braking seem to be the upgrades of choice for the track warriors as both benefit from a beef up in those depts. Sticking on a turbo is another route, but seems to need serious expertise. The K20 engine into the DC2 is a popular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nige

The dc5 integras are a better every day car as they are more comfortable and dont feel as raw as the dc2,also the dc5 have more low down torque than the dc2

I have one for sale if anyone wants one

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=31359

^^ Good car that one especially coming with all the original books and auction report which is rare enough to see. I wouldn't buy any Jap import without them.

Advertisement