Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Slinger

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Rew wrote:
    I'd like to know as well. After seeing some people who werent dressed up reenactors or airsofters walking around with pistols in drop leg holsters on Saturday at Salutew it has crossed my mind were they real. Wonder did they know speacial branch were wondering around as well...

You are joking :eek: :eek:

Nutters, and that's putting it mildly, :eek: :eek:

They should be arrested as a danger to themselves and the general public :mad:

Weapons should be confiscated and licences revoked :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

slugster wrote:
    Has any clubs or associations drawn up a code of conduct / guideline regarding this?

COMMON SENSE ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

slugster wrote:
    Has any clubs or associations drawn up a code of conduct / guideline regarding this?

As regards to pistols in holsters on the range?

I know my own you can wear it in a holster with the mag out once its been cleared by the RO. The ideais that it can be carried as far as the coffee area and back instead of leaving it unattended. I find most people will leave it under the supervision of another member they trust instead of holstering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

To assume every licence holder has been bestowed with common sense, would be daft - that's why there are drink driving adverts bombarding our TV screens every day.

You are joking :eek: :eek:

Nutters, and that's putting it mildly, :eek: :eek:

They should be arrested as a danger to themselves and the general public :mad:

Weapons should be confiscated and licences revoked :mad:

Well they could have been deacts, replicas or airsofts im just saying they didnt seem to be dressed as reenactors and I know most of the airsofters. There could have been a legit reason, but i did think it was odd.

• Advertisement

slugster wrote:
    To assume every licence holder has been bestowed with common sense, would be daft - that's why there are drink driving adverts bombarding our TV screens every day.

Very true and some peoples idea of common senmse is wildly differnat to others!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

On this topic,

I just half heard on the one o'clock news about a man being arrested in a dublin pub at the weekend for being in possession of a loaded handgun.

The gun was observed by a member of the public and the Gardai were called.

It didnt say whether there was criminal intent involved or whether it was legally held.

Hopefully it wasnt legally held, for the sake of us responsible pistol owners.

Was this you slugster...?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

What about this, a lad i stalk with from time to time brings his 9mm stalking with him for the occasional coup de gráce, not such a bad idea as i dont like discharging a full bore at close range and the throat cut thing can be difficult in some circumstances and messy, he reckons he is ok to do this. What you reckon?

How did you guess Colombo! There was Texas Hold'em on that night, did they mention my Stetson

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What about this, a lad i stalk with from time to time brings his 9mm stalking with him for the occasional coup de gráce, not such a bad idea as i dont like discharging a full bore at close range and the throat cut thing can be difficult in some circumstances and messy, he reckons he is ok to do this. What you reckon?
    I reckon he's using his pistol for a purpose he wasn't issued with a cert for, and as reasonable a purpose as it is (IIRC, it's a legal requirement in Germany to carry a pistol for that task when deer stalking), it's still in violation of the Firearms Act and he could lose his cert if caught or reported for doing so.

• Advertisement

On this topic,
    I just half heard on the one o'clock news about a man being arrested in a dublin pub at the weekend for being in possession of a loaded handgun.
    This story maybe?
    Man in court on gun charges
    Monday, 27 August 2007 12:50

A 39-year-old man has appeared at Dublin District Court charged with possesion of a firearm.
    John Mangan of Larkhilll Road, Whitehall, Dublin was found with a concealed handgun when gardaí arrested him at a pub in Santry on Friday night.
    He made no comment to the charge or caution when arrested at Santry Garda station.
    The court heard the Mr Mangan was unemployed and legal aid was granted.
    He has been remanded to appear at Clover Hill Court on Friday morning at 10.30am

I'v heard of this before and personally see it as a humaine way of killing a wounded deer but not sure how legal it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Rew wrote:
    I'v heard of this before and personally see it as a humaine way of killing a wounded deer but not sure how legal it is.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, under legislation introduced by Mr Lenihan, years ago, only a rifle may be used to kill deer.
    Whilst it would make sense to allow for humane dispatch, the law does not cater for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

do any of your licences say that your gun can only be used for targets?

i'v ewalked in stores with a cased rifle, bolt with another person, is that wrong?

my licence states "authorised to have in their possession ,use and carry a....."
    and i have read that when not at/on way/from sporting events the cert should accompany the rifle

maglite wrote:
    do any of your licences say that your gun can only be used for targets?
    No, but all of my certificates do, by exclusion (as in, they say I can't shoot animals and you're not allowed shoot anything but targets and animals, therefore...)
    i'v ewalked in stores with a cased rifle, bolt with another person, is that wrong?
    Nope, as it's in the case and you've good reason to be carrying it in a public place.
    my licence states "authorised to have in their possession ,use and carry a....."
    Yup, but that doesn't mean "authorised to walk down the high street with this on your hip".
    and i have read that when not at/on way/from sporting events the cert should accompany the rifle
    The cert really should be with the rifle all the time, if only for convienence if you're asked to produce it by the club or a garda.

Sparks wrote:
    No, but all of my certificates do, by exclusion (as in, they say I can't shoot animals and you're not allowed shoot anything but targets and animals, therefore...)

my CERT has subject to conditions none,, so i can shoot vermin, even though it is a target tool

Yup, but that doesn't mean "authorised to walk down the high street with this on your hip".

but where does it state that?
    The cert really should be with the rifle all the time, if only for convenience if you're asked to produce it by the club or a garda.

i rarely bring my cert to fields, its fine for going to a nice college shooting ground, but short of that it will never see a field

maglite wrote:
    my CERT has subject to conditions none,, so i can shoot vermin, even though it is a target tool
    Fair point.
    but where does it state that?
    In the firearms and offensive weapons act 1990.
    i rarely bring my cert to fields, its fine for going to a nice college shooting ground, but short of that it will never see a field
    Mine sees fields all the time. Fields in the middle of meath, fields in the dublin mountains, fields in the middle of offaly, fields all over the place. It sees nice indoor ranges too, but an outdoor range is, well, a field. With a dry place to lie down in, yes, but basicly, a field.

Now granted, when I say "see", what I mean is that it's in the rifle slip. But then again, you do use a rifle slip instead of throwing your rifle in the back of the jeep on the way home to bounce around the boot and get your scope un-zeroed, right?

i walk,, cant afford a car yet:(

All the more reason to keep the rifle nice and dry in the slip so ;)

Sparks wrote:

In the firearms and offensive weapons act 1990.

QUOTE]

Sparks can you send me the link for the section that indicates a firearm would not be permitted to be carried.

Many Thanks

• Advertisement

Slugster,
    Articles 9 (subsections 4, 5 and 6) and 14 are the articles to read:
    9.—
    (4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—
    ( a ) any flick-knife, or
    ( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person,
    he shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) Where a person has with him in any public place any article intended by him unlawfully to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate any person either in a particular eventuality or otherwise, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(6) In a prosecution for an offence under subsection (5), it shall not be necessary for the prosecution to allege or prove that the intent to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate was intent to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate a particular person; and if, having regard to all the circumstances (including the type of the article alleged to have been intended to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate, the time of the day or night, and the place), the court (or the jury as the case may be) thinks it reasonable to do so, it may regard possession of the article as sufficient evidence of intent in the absence of any adequate explanation by the accused.
    (my emphasis)
    14.—A member of the Garda Síochána may arrest without warrant any person who is, or whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be, in the act of committing an offence under section 9, 10 or 11.

In real terms, what the above means is that if you walk down the high street carrying a pistol in a holster and a garda stops you, he can arrest you without a warrant on the spot; and the court and jury will be asked to decide whether or not a person walking down the high street openly carrying a gun could have been out to harm someone with it. In this country, you're not likely to get a favorable answer to that question at the moment given our gun crime problem and the lack of education of the general public with respect to the legitimate sporting and hunting uses of firearms.

And if your reason for carrying the firearm was "because my licence said I could" then you'd be in more trouble because the onus is on you to prove you did not intend to use the firearm on someone, not on the prosecution to prove you did intend to do so. "I was doing it 'cos I could" doesn't meet the required standard of proof in that situation.

Advertisement