Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law With French Law, PLEASE HELP

• 26-08-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I have just accepted my course offer, paid my fees and accommodation fees for UCD as I hope to begin Law with French Law this September. I am very excited to be studying Law and I am also looking forward to learning about French Law. However I am a little concerned about the French language aspect.

I was wondering how much of the course is spent learning French, if any? I presume if they expect us to go to France for a year they will teach us enough French to get by? Also I have read that the modules on French Law are taught in French. Surely they don't expect our Leaving Cert French to be sufficient enough that we need no further learning.

Perhaps this sounds stupid and I am worrying over nothing but any insight or advice on the course and the French aspect would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

They don't have any French language classes per se, but you'll pick up enough through learning French law that you should be proficient enough when they send you off to the Sorbonne in third year. At least that was the case with my friends when they went over.

Also it's not that difficult to learn French law out of a book even with Leaving Cert French - I found the online French dictionary on www.wordreference.com a lifesaver!

The Sorbonne does make allowances for foreign students however; you won't be expected to have a native-speaker level of French. All the students I know who were over there (some from TCD, some from UCD) got through the year OK.

Put it this way - I do straight law in UCD and decided to spend my Erasmus year in Paris. I had no French beyond my B1 in the Leaving Cert and had to take all my law exams in French (4 oral and one three-hour written) and I just received my diploma in French law in the post this week :D . If you're thrown in at the deep end, etc.

Asides from that you'll enjoy Law in UCD. Particularly James McDermott's (a living legend) contract law lectures in first year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jay9

Thanks for the quick reply Skyhighflyer.
    I guess you are right with the 'thrown in the deep end' perspective.
    Its good to know a fellow B1-in-French got on fine!
    Thanks again!

Advertisement