Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 9-3 coolant leak

Options
  • 26-08-2007 7:51pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

The Saab is leaking coolant at a fairly serious rate - running the engine with the bonnet up, there's a fine spray of coolant coming off the serpentine belt on the driver's side of the engine. I'm assuming it's dripping onto the belt and spraying off because of the speed the belt is running. Best guess is the leak is in or near the water pump.

Is it a good idea to use a radiator weld type of product to bung this up, even temporarily? The nearest Saab dealer is a half-hour drive away, which is a little further than I'd be comfortable driving it as it stands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Don't use a radweld type product it probably won't work on a leaking water pump and may block up other parts of the system.

I would drive it to the garage and stop every 5 minutes to check and top up. Keep it topped up above the min and add a bit each time and it should be grand (don't leave it too long or you may end up adding a lot of cold liquid to a hot engine) AFAIK water pumps are designed to weep coolant if any gets past the inner seal - the weeping alerts the owner that there is a problem with the pump and that there is water getting into the bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:
    Don't use a radweld type product it probably won't work on a leaking water pump and may block up other parts of the system.

I would drive it to the garage and stop every 5 minutes to check and top up. Keep it topped up above the min and add a bit each time and it should be grand (don't leave it too long or you may end up adding a lot of cold liquid to a hot engine)

Excellent advice.

Also, drive with the cap off the expansion tank - it will relieve a small bit of pressure as the engine gets warmer. When you stop wait another 5 mins before driving off again. Keep all possible electrical consumers off except the interior fan - keep it at a reasonable speed (A/C off) with the cabin temperature knob set to full heat - this will draw a lot of heat from the engine.

But, before you do that - A new Saab comes with 2 years warranty which incudes 3 years roadside assistance..............So if it's relatively new you could save yourself some hassle.

Advertisement