Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why has nobody thought of this before?

Options
  • 26-08-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Why can't they make diesels sound exactly the same as petrols? Surley its not as hard as it sounds? The best diesels are so quiet than only when they are cold is it possible to tell whats under the bonnet, and under hard acceleration. About the only real problem with diesel engines in cars is the fact that they all sound rubbish, compared to a petrol of similar configuration, by that I mean a straight 6 diesel sounds nicer than any 4 pot whether its petrol or diesel, but thats until you hear a straight 6 petrol, which blows the diesel into the weeds sound wise.

Surley it would not be that difficult, I mean why can't they like engineer a 'soundtrack',actually better still why couldn't we select a soundtrack of any description, that way we could 'listen' to the exquisite sounds of say a V12 petrol or V8 or my favourite, a straight 6 petrol BMW, while driving a nice and economical 3 pot diesel. With all the computer technology that exists today, surley its not beyond the bounds of posibility that they could make such a thing happen, and better still it would get louder when you put your foot on the floor(that cant be too difficult either since accelerators are electronic these days), and go up the revs too(again the same reason, all that caper is done electronically).

I know it wouldnt be the same thing as the real thing,listening to a car on youtube is never the same as actually being in the same car, it never sounds as good(or as loud) on video, but in this era of eco-consciousness, surely my idea is not as daft an idea as it sounds?

In any case what are we supposed to do when we're driving fuel cells in the future, after all they make no noise, so how are we supposed to know when a fuel cell car is coming down a road, or more importantly, wheres the aural refinement only an internal conbustion engine can provide?

I just hope and pray that BMWs Hydrogen technology can take off, that way one can have a large engined(and high number of cylinders) car and nobody can say boo to you for enviornmental damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Good idea for hybrid cars also, when running on battery in car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

At a rough guess I'd say cost. Also they way a petrol and diesel work is totally diffetent so they'd have to re-design the diesels engines. They could do it but would you be willing to spend thousands more for a car just so it sounds like a petrol.
    Surley it would not be that difficult, I mean why can't they like engineer a 'soundtrack',actually better still why couldn't we select a soundtrack of any description, that way we could 'listen' to the exquisite sounds of say a V12 petrol or V8 or my favourite, a straight 6 petrol BMW, while driving a nice and economical 3 pot diesel. With all the computer technology that exists today, surley its not beyond the bounds of posibility that they could make such a thing happen, and better still it would get louder when you put your foot on the floor(that cant be too difficult either since accelerators are electronic these days), and go up the revs too(again the same reason, all that caper is done electronically).

They are trying to make cars quieter not put more nosie into then. And I'm thinking that this sounds a bit like sticking the auld bean can exhaust onto a Micra.
    In any case what are we supposed to do when we're driving fuel cells in the future, after all they make no noise, so how are we supposed to know when a fuel cell car is coming down a road, or more importantly, wheres the aural refinement only an internal conbustion engine can provide?

I think that this is an issue that will rear it's ugly head soon. I'm sure there are loads of partially sighted people who use nosie from cars as a warning. And as bikers put it "Loud Pipes Save Lives"

I know I'm contradicting myself here, but it's quieter in car to reduce driver fatigue and nosie outside for pedestrian safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Del2005 wrote:
    They are trying to make cars quieter not put more nosie into then. And I'm thinking that this sounds a bit like sticking the auld bean can exhaust onto a Micra.

Unfortunately thats true. I like to know that there is an engine under the bonnet, but only the right sort of course. I dont want to be hearing a tappety engine, for instance, or a coarse sounding engine, or a 4 pot at high revs, cause they usually sound gruff and irratating, wheras a straight 6 makes a lovely growl when they are opened up. What I had in mind was the kind of thing they do with playstation games. Like when you press the "accelerator" on a PS2 game, theres no actual engine, but they are able to engineer a sound so that when you 'change gears', they can make a PS2 to make the noise of a car thats after going up a gear or down a gear, or when you accelerate in a PS2 car game the 'engine' will sound louder.

Like the car companies could record the soundtrack of an actual engine(or better still all their engines, and that way we could choose whatever engine sound we want), at all different revs, how hard you press the acclerator, what the engine sounds like when its going tappety, and then like put it on a computer, and then have this recording 'built in' to the car. As long as the engine is internal combustion, the real engine sound would be heard by passers by, and the 'built in' sound would be heard by the passengers.

Recording engine sounds can't be that expensive, can it, and then even if it was, car makers already spend bucket loads of money tuning existing engines so they they sound as nice as they can(especially if its a performance version of a car)(Audi employ a person to do such a job, he has to go into the boot of their Avant models, and has to listen for the right engine note, and they spend ages doing mods to the exhaust so that the note sounds just right).

Anyway, thats what computers are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Well why not follow your theory and get a soundtrack of an enzo engine and play it in your car!.. come on do you really think that would work?

Cars that have engines worth hearing, manufacturers will make sure you can hear them! If they're not.. you won't hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

su_dios wrote:
    Well why not follow your theory and get a soundtrack of an enzo engine and play it in your car!.. come on do you really think that would work?

Cars that have engines worth hearing, manufacturers will make sure you can hear them! If they're not.. you won't hear them.

All Joking aside, why not?

Having heard the actual Enzo engine, its a sound you won't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

What happens when you roll down the windows then? You hear a sound on the inside and the true sound outside and its all one big clash? You're engine sound tells you when to change gear and when its not running so well. Why have a fake sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote:
    Having heard the actual Enzo engine, its a sound you won't forget.

Especially not when every 1.4 diesel corrolla going by you sounds the same. If you want a car that sounds like a super car, buy a super car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:
    but in this era of eco-consciousness, surely my idea is not as daft an idea as it sounds?

No, it is pretty daft alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

E92 wrote:
    but in this era of eco-consciousness, surely my idea is not as daft an idea as it sounds?
    There's a very good reason "nobody thought of this before" - it IS as daft as it sounds.

In fact, it's even dafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

E92 could be on to something, Could you cancel the noise of a diesel engine by using the noise cancelling technology that you can get with earphones. Except through a speaker. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Del2005 wrote:
    I think that this is an issue that will rear it's ugly head soon. I'm sure there are loads of partially sighted people who use nosie from cars as a warning. And as bikers put it "Loud Pipes Save Lives"

Yup. There have already been complaints from blind people regarding the Prius and how difficult it is to hear one coming at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Maybe we like the sound of diesels.
    chitty chitty bang bang
    chitty chitty bang bang
    chitty chitty bang bang we love you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

The introduction of the common rail and the APC have greatly reduced diesel noise, and increased injection control. This also increased the efficiency, of course. The problem is this stuff isn't cheap. Eventually, it will be on all engines, though. It's on all diesels in the states, but we only have heavy trucks, Benzo and VW diesels. I love the sound of a big diesel engine, especially a Caterpillar. But the lil ones do have the tendency to sound anemic...

From wiki:

"common rail and unit injection systems employ new injectors using stacked piezoelectric crystals in lieu of a solenoid, which gives finer control of the injection event."

"Accelerometer pilot control (APC) uses an accelerometer to provide feedback on the engine's level of noise and vibration and thus instruct the ECU to inject the minimum amount of fuel that will produce quiet combustion and still provide the required power (especially while idling.)"

Some diesels also use the pre-injection system where a very tiny amount of diesel is injected prior to the main injection - a difference of milliseconds. Apparently this helps cool the chamber enough to quiet, or lesson a multiple discharge. Shrug.

Here's a few light duty truck diesel vids:

Can yer alfa diesel do this?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2Oh_DGo7M&mode=related&search=

Or sound like this(turn up the bass or you'll miss most the sound)?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr3GIrv4iL8&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox4cwo0bk1U&mode=related&search=

Or will it do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbnozIGfkE&mode=related&search=
    A chipped, exhaust, and propane modded Ford F350 1 ton 4X4 pickup with a 11.42 1/4 mile at 118 MPH.

This one beats a Z06:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y210NRGehlI&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkc__DR5CA&mode=related&search=

And here's a Cumins Diesel Dodge giving an Evo 9 a hard time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QKC_ki5Cg&NR=1

And a Titan VS a Titan!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDJBM9qLRNo&mode=related&search=

And a Dodge VS a Dodge:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuF9pOcR1Qk&mode=related&search= Mercans luv their trucks

Wez

I don't get it. There is nothing wrong with the sound of diesels. Sure they don't sound as nice as a v6 or a v8 petrol, but so what? They just sound like diesel engines!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    I don't get it. There is nothing wrong with the sound of diesels

Get back on to your tractor and, eh, enjoy the tractor sound ;):D

unkel wrote:

When I want something that sounds intoxicating i start up my capri :) Otherwise I am probably just going to work and so long as the car is making healthy diesel noises I am quite happy!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    I like the sound of this diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

can somebody make my diesel sound like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Actually, back in the late 80's/ early 90's Lotus did a lot of research into this very subject. Obviously, at the time, the Prius and fuel cells were pie in the sky, but they worked on taking the actual noise from a car and synthesizing it to sound like something "fruitier".

I remember reading that one of their testbeds for the technology was a Citroen AX 1.4 which they fenagled to sound like a Porsche 928's V8. Apparently when testing it on their track they found that people didn't actually drive any faster but they drove more enthusiastically. Don't ask me how they quantified enthusiasm but it sounded like it would be good crack to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

fake is bad :(

equates to fake dump valves, fake air intakes, dodgy exhausts, the dreaded chrome tape...

thumbs down from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Actually e92, what you're asking about has been done. It's called the Vroombox, and is available for pre-order.

http://www.vroombox.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Psh, you can sound like that with a Panda. ;)

Wez
    peasant wrote:
    can somebody make my diesel sound like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

....also, diesel engines run at approx twice the compression ratio of petrol cars and so you will hear the igniting fuel more.

Another thing is that, up until very recently, diesel engines were made from cast iron rather than aluminum like petrol engines.

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

**reads thread**

**re-reads thread to make sure I've read what I think I've read**

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**deep breath**

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want something that sounds good than buy a good sounding car in the first place! ;)

Advertisement