Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roebuck Hall

• 26-08-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, Thanks in advance for any responses.
    I'm about to start college life in UCD this September and since I'm a Galwegian I applied for accommodation on campus. I picked Roebuck Hall because the description said it is 'Newly Constructed' and all the rooms are en suite. I just have a few questions I was hoping could be answered.

1) A friend offered me advice on accommodation and had Roebuck Hall on top of the list. However he told me that I should be careful not to pick the "old Roebuck" because it is "a Sh*thole" (his language not mine!). There is no mention of an "old Roebuck" on the site. Since I applied for Roebuck Hall is there a chance I will be placed in the old Roebuck or am I guaranteed to be in the new one?

2) The appartments in Roebuck Hall have six bedrooms. Will I be in an appartment with just 1st years or will it be a mix of all years?

3)This may sound stupid - will all the residents of an appartment be the same sex, i.e. all men or all women?

4)Are all the rooms definitely en suite?

5)Can you offer anymore insight or details about Roebuck Hall and its appartments?

Thanks again for taking the time to read my queries!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

1: You got the nice one

2: Mixed years

3: Same sex

4:Yes and very nice ensuite too.

5: Very nice, admins are ****, Residential assistants are fairly ok. Was a good laugh lasy year. will prob see you since my missus got it this year.

Enjoy UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jay9

thanks theresalwaysone, Quick and to the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i hear it's quite luxurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

3: Same sex

:eek: !!!....you jest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

No, as far as I know freshers are always in single sex apartments. Postgrads are normally mixed though.

Scraggs (another poster here) told me Roebuck Castle (a.k.a. the "sh*thole") wasn't being used for students anymore. Don't know what the full story is though.

• Advertisement

Thanks Blush 01.....as long as im not in the sh*thole im happy!

If you have an ensuite it is definately not the craphole. Ensuite also covers as a wet room. Pretty sweet.

Blush, I had a second year and a 3rd year in my apartment as well as 4 first years and we were all the same sex.Well I think we were anyway.

And every other apartment in my building was same sex too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Jay9, buy a duckboard if you can. I had one this year, it was great, meant you weren't standing in a drain and it supposedly reduces the likelihood of verrucas. (I got mine in our local Arro Hardware place, but I heard Dunnes and places sell them too.)

Theresalwaysone, if you were in RH then you'd have been all in single sex apartments. Glen is mixed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

are they afraid all the first years will be going at it like rabbits?

• Advertisement

Thanks again Blush 01! You've been most helpful!!!

Grimes......You don't play by the book but I like your style!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aof

Definately the nicest on campus accommodation but last year first years had to have an entrance scholarship to get it or be on the emergency list and get lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I lived in RH last year it was awesome!
    1- Old Roebuck is closed from what I heard.. this could have changed since I was last talking to them.
    2- You more than likely will be in an apartment with other 1st yrs because this yr they are meant to be only having firsties there [however this could change depending on demand]
    3- There were only 2 apts that I know of that were mixed gender the rest were all same sex.

4- the rooms are definitely en-suite. really really nice!

5- Its a great place to live especially in first year, I had the time of my life adn would kill to live there again. Seriously if the walls could talk!!
    Try to make friends with people from other apartments its nice to have a mix.... Keep on the good side of the RA's they're are generally sound enough but you have to be reasonable and remember they have a job to do [I know some of the ones you'll prob have and they're sound out]. If you're going to have a party close the blinds and keep the windows closed.... When ordering Pizza/Chinese make sure you specify Roebuck HALL and not 'Hill' as the odd time we'd be left starving waiting on the delivery guys to find us. Try and do your laundry during the day as the washers and dryers are often full up in the evening. Oh yeah get one or two of those plastic storage boxes, there are no drawers only shelves and it can get really irratating!

Any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks for all the help Scraggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There will be at least 3 mixed apartments in Roebuck as they all have RAs in them and all the teams are mixed. There's 3 RAs per apartment with 3 students.

And apparently from what I've heard Roebuck hall with mainly be 1st years and Erasmus students.

Advertisement