Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does NUIM start so late in the month?

• 26-08-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I mean orientation isn't till like the 18th, and lectures don't actually start till the 24th.But i've been talking to people going to different colleges (UCD, NUIG and one other I can't remember....DCU maybe?) and they all have orientation in like the first week in september or something similar, with lectures starting round the 10th or so.So why is it that NUIM goes back so late?Is there an actual reason....or is it just one of those things that just ''is''?Why can't it start earlier dammit!I'm dying to go!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I mean orientation isn't till like the 18th, and lectures don't actually start till the 24th.But i've been talking to people going to different colleges (UCD, NUIG and one other I can't remember....DCU maybe?) and they all have orientation in like the first week in september or something similar, with lectures starting round the 10th or so.So why is it that NUIM goes back so late?Is there an actual reason....or is it just one of those things that just ''is''?Why can't it start earlier dammit!I'm dying to go!!!

Dunno why but last year orientation week was the 11th and lectures started on the 18th.

Trinity doesnt start till October like the uni's in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That's ages away! Whooo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

The staff are argueably as lazy as the students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Wait wait wait
    The important thing here is that non-first years only have to turn up on the 24th right?
    I booked a holiday on this assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Why does NUIM start so late in the month?

Cause we're better than everyone else.

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You're over-excited dear, take a chill pill and enjoy the rest of the summer. (Aha, I said chill pill!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Rozabeez wrote:
    You're over-excited dear, take a chill pill and enjoy the rest of the summer. (Aha, I said chill pill!)
    But my summer is ****ing boring!!And I want to get out of this hole dammit!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I was the same last year before I started. Had no job and didnt go anywhere on holidays.

I found college really good for about 3 weeks and then the novelty wore off and I didnt like it as much but I did start to enjoy it in the 2nd semester.

This year I have gone on holidays & got a job but im in a very different situation because if my repeats dont go well im heading off to HW Uni, Edinburgh or DCU. I kinda want to fail just so that I can go to Edinburgh but if I had the choice I would say in Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

I want it to start now!!!Im sooo bored on my hols!Cant wait to join the omega society!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

dcu doesn't start until the week after maynooth, dunno about anywhere else though. trinity is usually not until october i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

dcu doesn't start until the week after maynooth,
    You sure?My friends going there and he said he starts on the 24th, but he thinks he has orientation the week before (which would make it round the same time as us).Ah well.Doesn't really matter I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

You sure?My friends going there and he said he starts on the 24th, but he thinks he has orientation the week before (which would make it round the same time as us).Ah well.Doesn't really matter I suppose.

sorry, i probably should have read your post properly.... :o
    for some reason i thought freshers fortnight started the week after orientation week, one of my friends going into 4 th year said he was back to lectures on the 17th, so i presumed orientation was the week before...

but yeah, dcu is definitely orientation week starting on the 17th, and normal lectures back on the 24th, so the same as maynooth...

Advertisement