Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running on roads

• 26-08-2007 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Does anyone know what the story is when running on roads with no paths (country roads)? I run facing the traffic but every now and again a driver will feel the urge to give out (beep horn etc.) Am I in the wrong or are we entitled to share the road like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're correct
    Cycle/Drive on the left and run/walk on the right is the rule.

If you're on country roads then it might be advisable to stand into the ditch if it's especially narrow when meeting traffic.
    Sounds very dangerous to me-have you no other option?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clem

It's only part of my run is on the country road, most in fairness is on roads with paths. I was just curious to know if I was in the wrong and why drivers might have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

You are in the right. Drivers naturally feel that they have 'more' right to the road but that is bull****. You are in the right and what you are experiencing from drivers is an inferiority based power trip due to the fact that subconsciously they realise that you are better than them as you are out doing something productive i.e. exercise.
    I'd still be careful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

clem wrote:
    It's only part of my run is on the country road, most in fairness is on roads with paths. I was just curious to know if I was in the wrong and why drivers might have a problem with it.

I do a lot of my running on quiet country roads and I get the same attitude at times - however, I do try to avoid twisty roads with lots of hedgerows etc. i.e. most drivers can see me in pplenty of time and I only use them in actual daylight. I run towards the traffic which is the correct way to use a road with no path i.e. face the traffic.

The only downside with running on Irish roads is that the surface can be uneven and more importantly with the camber of the road, one can end up with hip/knee problems from the right leg being on the bottom of the camber whilst the left is running at a different height esp. over any prolonged distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

clem wrote:
    I run facing the traffic but every now and again a driver will feel the urge to give out (beep horn etc.)

Part of the runs I do are on country roads too and I got fed up with having to jump in to the ditch to avoid on-coming cars who have no respect for joggers. I run on the left now. This is completely wrong and uncle Gaybo would advise against it but in 2 years of doing it I haven't had one near miss or had to put up with angry motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

I think if you have no choice but to run on the road you really should run on the right. It can get a bit annoying when you get the odd beep but it’s just far safer and you can react if a driver is not paying attention and gets a bit close to you. Obviously you don’t stand a chance if the car is coming at you from behind. You are totally relying on the driver to watch out for you.
    Also I know this sounds a bit obvious but pick a straight(ish) road to run on. That way the driver can see you and you the car in plenty of time. And wear a high visibility jacket (day or night).
    I live in a village and there is a straight enough road leading into it and a fairly bendy road on the far side leading out of it. The amount of people I’ve seen running with the traffic on the bendy road just amazes me. It’s just so dangerous.
    It’s funny that this post is on here cause only the other day I was on this road and I came around a blind bend (well within the speed limit) and just about managed to miss a runner. He was practically out in the middle of the road and I’m not joking here!!! But it was just down to my quick reflexes that he’s still alive today! If I had have been speeding he was dead and probably me as well.
    As a runner myself it annoys the crap out of me when motorist beep you just for running on the road. But this fella just took the biscuit…
    If you run on the road lets face it’s always going to be a risk. But if you have to my 3 tips would be….Run on long straight roads if you can…..run on the right….Always wear a hi viz jacket….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

onekeaneo wrote:
    But if you have to my 3 tips would be….Run on long straight roads if you can…..run on the right….Always wear a hi viz jacket….

I do a good bit of jogging on bendy country roads. Another tip I would add that would be to keep your ears open, if you hear a car coming near a bad bend, move over to the opposite side of the road.

Advertisement