Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot + what OS?

Options
  • 26-08-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Alright I've built my new pc -
    Antec P182 case,
    Corsair 620W,
    E6850
    BFG 8800 GTS
    ASUS P5KC
    OCZ 4 gig 6400
    2 samsumg 500 gig S300.
    Arctic cooler Freezer 7 pro

And I've 2 q's:

1- what the max operating temps for the cpu and mobo are.

I haven't had time to overclock or push the pc to anywhere near its limit. I'm reading temps of 14 - cpu and 37 mobo. I'd imagine this is pretty low??

I'm just wondering do I need to think of further cooling (P182 has 3 120 fans - which are on low).

2- I have xp pro on it at the mo as I needed it quickly to finish off some work. However I have a retail copy of vista ultimate and saw some people here had the 64 bit version installed.
    Should I go 64 or 32 - benefits/issues with both. I'm installing vista (before I get all the choose ubuntu replies :) I'll put linux on another pc I'm going to build from the parts of my old p4).

I'm going to use it for gaming and work.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That seems pretty low for an air cooler at 14c ? sure you didn't get them mixed around and it's not 37c ?

As for the OS go with 32-bit initially (the biggest benefit for 64-bit is 4GB+ RAM support & your at 2GB) and don't input your serial key during the install so it installs as a fully functional trial no point in activating it if the system is unstable or you don't care for it as an OS. If everything runs smoothly and your happy with it you can input the key in the system control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I had XP Pro for 4GB of ram, I went back to 32bit and ive 3.25GB I dont see much of a difference and its alot nicer gaming wise!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

No that's what Asus probe is telling me CPU - 14, motherboard 37.

I have 4 gig of RAM and that coupled with the supposed increase in speed with 64bit were the reasons I was going to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Oh well if you do have 4GB & want it all used then 64-bit is the way to go.

The performance gains really aren't there with the exception of very specific applications usually from the workstation filed. The gains in general apps are very minor or next to none.

There are a handful of 64-bit apps like unofficial 64-bit builds of Firefox that do benefit quite a bit but without 64-bit plugin support it is useless (java and flash must be 64-bit as well).

Compatibility is generally good and 64-bit versions of things like ffdshow are showing up and most games are fine with now though thats not to say you wont have a smooth ride just be careful and make sure all your hardware is supported in 64-bit before committing or at least use the serial key/trial mode method I outlined so you can get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

try to keep the temp under max load to under 70C and you won't have any problems. It should be perfectly happy up to 80C, but having a little headroom for when ambient tempratures are high or a fan breaks is always nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement