Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband and LAN

Options
  • 26-08-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey all, I've spent a lot of the weekend trying to get this to work and my head is wrecked with it. A friend of mine has broadband from NTL. The basic setup is a cable modem (Motorola) going into the WAN port of a Philips SNB5400 router. The router then feeds three computers through wireless.

The problem I'm having is that after that I couldn't connect to the internet through the router. If I connect the modem directly to my computer I can get internet access without problems. When I connect my computer to the router I can access everything on the network with no problems.

I had a spare router (Netgear something) so I hooked it up but had the same problem. When I connect the Cable Modem to the router and then the laptops to the router I can access any other computer on the network but cannot connect to the Internet. I also have tried powercycling the modem and router to no avail. It seems no matter what I do I can't connect to the internet through the router anymore. I have released and renewed my ip address through the router interface, and using the command line. Still nothing.

When the PC is connected directly to the cable modem and do ipconfig I get a Connection specific DNS Suffix as chello.ie IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway all look fine.

I've tried the usual stuff like uninstalling the network cards and reinstall them. I've set the IP address so that it automatically detects the settings and I also tried to specify the details too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have come to a dead end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

Had similar problems althou not with ntl... possibly try the following.

ensure the ntl modem is acting as the dhcp server and that dhcp is disabled for the router

connect the modem to the LAN port of the router, not the the WAN port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

sweno wrote:
    ensure the ntl modem is acting as the dhcp server and that dhcp is disabled for the router

how exactly do you get the NTL modem acting as a DHCP server? just plug it in on the LAN port instead of WAN?

also, i am wondering if there is any advantage doing this, i.e. no need to setup port forwarding anymore for applications that require so? will each computer connected to the LAN get a separate NTL IP address? i was reading somewhere, NTL say they allow up to 3 connection to the cable modem service.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 deviousfreak

Hi there,

How did you get on with this? What security suite are you using?
    Can you see in the Windows logs or Symantec etc. if you got any updates at the same time as i think this may have been my issue?

Dev.:D

Advertisement