Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious oil spill

Options
  • 26-08-2007 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

my parents have had a very serious oil spill from their oil tank on a house that is only 2 years old. (self build) The oil tank was installed after house was built and cracked just a few weeks ago. unfortunately the oil tanked had just been filled and the oil has gone all over the ground and looks like its gone under the foundations of the house, it seems really serious and the smell of oil is something else, The stress on my parents is awful and they have had to move out and though they have called the authorities, they dont really know what to do now and have no idea when they can move back.
    I saw the oil tank (My parents wouldnt allow the oil company to take it away) and I was horrified where I saw where the tank had split, what was more there were loads of areas on the tank that looked stressed and ready to burst. the tank didnt look strong enough to hold air never mind a dangerous substance such as oil!
    has anyone ever heard of this happening with any advice to offer? I am worried about my parents as at the moment they have no home and they are not getting much help from the oil company

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I have some expierience of this - what we did was put down loads of sawdust and wood chips in order to soak up as much as we could - any soil will have to be dug up the quicker you act the less you will have to dig. We took about three inches of it up. Just keep putting the dust/chips down once you have the majority of it up power hose thea area and then apply more sawdust to soak up the oil on top of the water.

If it is any consolation we also spilt a full tank (supports were rusted to sh1te) and after a year it now looks like nothing ever happened - but you need to act quick

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Was this one of the square green Carbery tanks? We had a problem with ours (fairly new) starting to split in the ridges on the top. It was very well supported and the cracks were quite small. When I phoned them there was absolutely no argument or even discussion, a man came and sealed the top and this suited me better than the performance of installing a new tank. Its been fine since and has been refilled twice. I suspect they had a dud batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 minxmad

it was green alright, and was cylindrical, must check with my parents the make off it. where the serious split occured was on the moulding at one end but when I examined it closely I could see splits in lots of places, really shocking! I have taken photos of them all and in one of the photos I have noticed a quality control passed sticker on the tank!! what a laugh!!!
    i am afraid it looks like it has gone under the foundations of the house and wil have to be drained out as much as possible though god knows how that will get done! the enviromental damage must be horrendous, I am so surprised at the lack of response from the council (my Dad has informed everyone) still surprised by the lack of advice from the insurance, oil company etc..I think I may advise my Dad to get legal advice...what do you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I think I may advise my Dad to get legal advice...what do you think

I would get some serious advice ..... you need to get an independant report on the installation before you move/replace anything so if it gets seriousl, legal wise you have sound evidence that the installation was carried out correctly and that the fault lies solely with the tank quality ....

Have a look at this link to give you some idea what oil spills involve re claims etc ....

http://www.claim.ie/index.php?n=AccidentTypes.OilSpills

edit punctuation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

My neighbour had a similiar problem where the oil tank split. The manufacturer got involved and it was concluded that the tank wasn't evenly supported which caused the problem.
    Insurance company paid out for the removal of all contaminated soil, replacment of soil and landscaping. Huge expense as the soil had to be disposed of correctly.
    The tank was located away from the house so only the garden affected.

After having the base rebuilt and a new tank installed, several months later the tank began to split again. Manufacturer promptly took away the tank and replaced it free of charge.

I suspect there could be a tank quality issue here. I'd suggest that insurance become involved asap. Get an independant survey done to determine the fault.
    Im sure if it's an issue with these tanks the insurance company will have seen it before. The'll push the expense back on the manufactured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement