Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weekly insurance.

Options
  • 26-08-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

My mothers car was always insured and various family members drove it. My mother has gone into a home and the car stays in the underground carpark of her apartment. Instead of paying insurance for a car that sits for months can we buy weekly insurance when we are over to visit?

Thanks JD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't think so, but you may be able to transfer your own insurance to her car temporarily.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The admin on setting up a weekly policy would make it too costly. Temporarily transferring your insurance onto her car would be the easiest solution (your car would then be without insurance. Let them know that its not your car as they may have something to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Ask the insurance company about suspending the third party cover on the policy, that's the expensive bit. I'll admit I only know of one instance of a company actually doing this (Hibernian iirc) and my mate who did it was working for them at the time. Enquire with a few other companies too. It might be worth changing insurers for the peace of mind of knowing it's still covered against fire and theft.

If your mum's incarceration is only temporary and she intends to resume driving in the future they may take an interest in why she's in a home so they can load her as an extra risk when she gets out though.

Actually, re-reading your post, are you and the family just looking to keep the car cheaply insured in your mum's name for your own benefit, and looking to only pay when it's being used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Greenman wrote:
    My mother has gone into a home and the car stays in the underground carpark of her apartment. Instead of paying insurance for a car that sits for months can we buy weekly insurance when we are over to visit?.

And if somebody nicks it you're stuffed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you know when you will be over and need to use the car, you can get a letter from a garda stating that the car will be off the road for a certain length of time, and then you can hand this in at the motor tax office and be discounted for the period off the road.

I don't think it's the same with insurance.

• Advertisement

Don't know if Im reading it wrong Sean_K but the gardai may (some don't) sign the bottom of form RF100A stating that the car was off the road for the period that the owner states.
    This means that the owner will not have to pay areers on that period. However you cannot get tax back unless the car is being scrapped and you can't get a 'discount' in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks all, I will report back to my sister.

My mother's driving career ended about 4 years ago but she kept the tax,NCT and insurance going for the family members to drive her around.

Re tax over here in Belgium if you stop driving halfway through the year you remaining years money back or if you downgrade your car ie engine size, you get the difference back.

Regards JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kbannon wrote:
    Don't know if Im reading it wrong Sean_K but the gardai may (some don't) sign the bottom of form RF100A stating that the car was off the road for the period that the owner states.
    All the Garda is doing here is witnessing your signature on the form - it is your statement that the car was not used in a public place for the period in question.

Not your ornery onager

I know - my point was that the gardai don't give you a letter to get a discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Greenman: If your mothers insurance is still running why not get the family to chip in and pay it? Between even 2 people for a years insurance, assuming full NCD/ no points and no age/illness loadings and not a performance car, it may be cheaper then hiring a car. You also have the benefit that the car is insured if stolen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement